PB G4 won't wake Apple Display from sleep.

OrganLeroy

Registered
I have a Powerbook G4 (1.67GHz, 1GB RAM, OS 10.4.10) with a 23" Apple Cinema Display attached. I've been putting the Powerbook to sleep at night, then finding in the morning that the external display will not wake up.

This is especially annoying because I have the display (not the Powerbook screen) configured to show the Finder toolbar, so I'm completely stuck if the display won't wake up. I should note that this only seems to happen after a sleep of at least an hour or so.

I often have to restart the Powerbook to get the video signal back on the display. Unplugging and re-plugging the USB connector to the display has no effect, and I assume it's a bad idea to unplug and re-plug the video connector.

I've tried zapping the PRAM on the Powerbook and repairing permissions. Any ideas?

If you use DVI to connect the Apple Cinema Display to the PowerBook, then you should be able to hot-plug (unplug and replug) the display connection.

Possibly a bad/loose DVI connection?

Maybe it's just shorting out. It's unlikely that the graphics processor is failing IMO if there aren't any video problems elsewhere (artifacting, etc.).

Maybe it's just shorting out. It's unlikely that the graphics processor is failing IMO if there aren't any video problems elsewhere (artifacting, etc.).

What is the "it" you're referring to "shorting out"? The graphics card? The display? The connector?

BTW, on ElDiablo's suggestion, I've tried unplugging and re-plugging the DVI connector. He's right that it does no harm to the Powerbook, but it still doesn't make the display wake up.

I've also since tested the display on my desktop Mac, and the same thing is happening: if put to sleep for more than 10 minutes or so, the display does not want to wake up.

Back