PB/IB vs RealBasic?

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
What do you guys think? And why?

Upon closer inspection RealBasic looks inferior, but simpler to use, than IB/PB.

Comments?

RB is pretty powerful. There's many features in there that I've never touched. But there are things that can be pretty difficult to do. Although, many of those things can be solved with plugins. It can build for OS 9, OS X, and Windows. The one major drawback is it's slowness. The interface is abysmally slow. For example: check out Macintosh Explorer. It's an application created with RB, and it's abysmally slow. Scrolling in text-only list boxes is very slow. Plus RB is quite expensive.

The Dev Tools are free. That's always nice. There is much more power, but the language--while similar to RB--is much more difficult. With RB, I figured out the language using only the online documentation. No-go with the Dev Tools. I needed to buy a book before I ever really got the hang of it. The graphics layer looks much nicer, with built-in support for advanced drawing features such as bézier curves, image opacity, and antialiasing. Those things are possible in RB, but there is a lot of work involved in it. There's no built-in 3D engine or sprite engine like there is in RB. The interface is much more Snappy™ that RB, plus it looks nicer.

Anyway, RB is a great way to create programs quickly and easily. There are many built-in features that the Dev Tools don't have and there are a few features in the Dev Tools that aren't in RB. The Dev Tools are more difficult to use, but projects created with it, in my opinion, will look better and run better than any created with RB, although they won't run in OS 9 or Windows.

I think you'll get much farther with PB/IB than REALbasic. The best use I've found for REALbasic is to do quick prototypes, to work out an algorithm or play with some idea. It's also good for quick and dirty applications that make use of AppleScript... but then again the free AppleScript tools in PB/IB do a fine job too.

The best thing about PB/IB is the total access you get. A great variety of languages, lots of programming examples, cross-platform libraries, etc., etc.

One thing no one ever mentions is the sheer amount of typing required to do anything in REALbasic. It's a very wordy language. Once you've gotten used to writing code in C or perl you can really feel how verbose RB is.

The GUI speed of an RB application is horrendous, as prime notes. I was so fed up with it when I wrote my (notably silly) program "UnShell" that I ended up implementing my own list and text-box controls using WASTE, a carbonized add-on library for doing rich text.

Oh well, it was fun to play with until I got more comfortable with ProjectBuilder, Objective-C, and gcc.

Back