PB12 vs PB15

Originally posted by buggerit
- Powerbook 12 screen is definately brighter and nicer than iBook, and on par with 15"

Friend of mine has the TinyBook. Same screen as my iBook. Really. Neither brighter nor worse or better. The 15" _really_ has a better quality screen. But the screen of the 12" (PB & iBook) are still better than what I've seen in the PC world. (There'll you'll find as good and worse screens.)

Hello everyone

First of all thanks ain for our input and help. I got the baby 12, amazing did not sleep all night everything is in place and ready but my email. i still have to find out the propoer wys to import for outlook express on pc to entourage mac. I know i saw something in a forum can't remember where talking about version something any pointing would be hellpful if no thanks anyway

Giro

Bug: That's the one. It's not supposed to add anything, it's just an extension of all the ports on the Powerbook so you don't have to continuously plug everything into the Book, then unplug it to take it on the road. You simply plug all your cables into the Bookendz, then you can plug the Book into the Bookendz in one motion, and unplug it easily, without all the cable hassle. It's perfect for people with a lot of devices who take their Books on the road, then have to come home and use those devices.

Yeah, but they _should_ start to add some USB ports at least. BookEndz could easily double as a USB hub.

I wonder if the whole PowerBook line is going to be updated along with the 15" and if so they will add usb2 ports and firewire2 on all of them

Viktor

They could be, the AlBooks were introduced at the time of the Superbowl, which was more than 6 months ago.

It's coming, the firewire2 stuff, but as for a normal user you don't really need the extra speed. The tests I've see with firewire vs firewire2 have been only a 20-30% speed increase. It will get better but for now I think it would be wise for Apple to add usb2 support on all their products since there's a lot more products with it out there and it's much cheaper.
I know firewire is far superior to usb but for things like scanners, cd/dvd burners etc is good enough specially for consumer users.

Viktor

Well, both FW and USB took a while to catch on, but now you can barely buy anything (for Mac at least) with anything but. FW2 will take a little while to catch on, and Apple added USB2 to the G5, so that's a good indication of what's to come for the rest of their line, since the Powermacs get the goodies first.

Hello Everyone,

Since I generated this Thread and finally make a decision based on some on you guys advice, It's been now 10 days I got the PB 12 and I really loved it, I hooked up at my office a LCD View Sonic, a keyboard and a mouse and I am styling. Moving from myy pc laptop (company one) to the mac was not easy, eventhough I am a mac guy and own several mac, the worst part was transfering from Outlook Express PC to Entourage Mac, finally got the trick doing OE to Outlook XP then spend 10 bucks on outlool2mac then send to entourage. Anyway it was worth the headache.

Again thans to all of you

Giro

Originally posted by gderoover
Hello Everyone,

I know this is a hot topic right now in a lot of forums and 'I have spend the last 2 weeks browsing and reading rumors, articles, etc. But now as time goes I need to make a decision and it came down to this:

PB12: new generation of PB's (AE,Bluetooh,etc) but small screen and not DVI and limted Ram

PB15: DVI and larger screen but old generation (no AE, Bluetooh)

My dilemma is greater when it comes to lost in value, what I really need is a PB15, but I am afraid that Apple surprised us in 2 /3 week and then my investment goes to the drain. As oppose to the PB12 which is newer.

I am leaning toward getting a PB12 for a year max then resell and purchase a PB15 which I believe would be upgraded by then. Eventhough I feel that I would be doing exactly what Apple want us to do and feel manipulated again by those large corporation.

What do you guys think, please help you input would be extremely valuable in helping me reaching a decision. I am not posting this to inflamme a topic which has been discussed a lot

Thanks,

Giro

Seems the two major factors that your decision is based on is firewirewire800, and builtin bluetooth. Why would you need firewire800 over firewire400? Spend $49.00 and get the d-link bluetooth USB module and you've got bluetooth.

I struggled with the same stuff you are encountering. But after seeing just how small a 12" screen is, and then hearing about the thermal problems that you'll have with the 12" PB, along with other issues like the fact that this PB doesn't have L3 cache--something very key to the performance of the G4 which has a slow front side bus--the appeal of a 12inch screen, and the 1GHz speed, which probably can't be squeezed into the 12" form factor, I thought the best long term bet would be the 15". I really don't know how they can make the 15" better that would have made me wait. They'd have to come out with a PB with twice the speed and batterylife, along with extras like firewire800, USB2.0, bluetooth, and built in GPRS to put me in the market again.

BTW, I think moving from Ti to Alu is a move backwards. I think this was a cost saving move, but it kinda removes the snob appeal that the PB has over PC noteboook "me-too's" like Sony and Porche.

Glad to hear it, roover! There is a program out there that will transfer all your data and settings from a PC to your new Mac, but I'd have to dig out the article to find it. Unless someone else knows it.

Malex: Aluminum permits better Airport reception but gets hotter.

There are a number of reasons to wait for new 15" PB's, including better case design, better architecture, more speed, Bluetooth, FW800 (if you need it), and more.

I'm also thinking for the buy of a PowerBook.
I don't really need the portability, and a 64mb grafical card would be nice. On the other hand: I don't care if it hasn't got L3 cache. I need usb2 though. I just wait for the outcoming of the new PowerBooks (and Panther). I want to buy a PowerBook in the beginning of october. The 12" is nice and cheap, and I can add an external monitor to it.

Back