PBG4 15" RAM issues.. AGAIN

Aeronyth

Registered
I have a aluminum pbg4 15 inch 1.5Ghz... been nothing but trouble since day one.

repairs completed on the computer (in chronological order):

1. new logic board (to solve random sleep errors) -- didnt work
2. new topcase to replace the trackpad sensor causing it to sleep randomly, like i told them they should have replaced the first time instead of the new logic board...
3. new RAM slots due to lower RAM slot failure.. cant remember if they replaced the logic board again, i'm pretty sure they did

i've been noticing that its been running really slow lately, and the other day i noticed that only half of the RAM was being registered. I have two 512MB sticks. Before, when the lower slot failed, it was totally useless and would not operate under any circumstance. Now, it will only work when there is not memory in the upper slot. I've flipped them around, tried them one by one, etc, everything. As soon as there is memory in the upper slot the computer ignores whatever is in the lower slot. System profiler says that it is "empty" when it is not.

No applecare left for me, does anyone have any ideas?

Pretty disappointed in what I thought was a really powerful computer, but turned out to be a $2100 lemon.

Here's my idea - call AppleCare, explain your situation, and your view of the events - keeping calm and simply giving the facts as you know them to be. Sometimes Apple will offer mitigation of some kind - even offering additional repairs, or replacement, depending on the situation. You might get lucky...
On the other hand - it's more than 5 years old - might be time to move on to something else.

I've been thinking about trying that, although actually I was thinking of writing. Do you think that would be as effective?

And yeah I agree with you, it's an outdated computer.. not even supported on 10.6 haha but I just can't help but feel a little slighted, I was the windows user who said "f this" and decided to shell out a ton of money on their almost top of the line notebook, and don't get me wrong, I LOVE my computer, I love the system, everything... everything has just been bad with the hardware.. and I'm a college student (information sciences major) trying to get by with an already outdated computer, and now I'm limited to half of my RAM(that they supposedly repaired??), making matters much worse...

OH, and I didn't mention that my trackpad button is now only double-clicks...
and those janky power adapters.. gone through 3 of those, thankfully replaced by applecare

Last edited:
Yeah, there was a problem with RAM slots on those. They had a repair extension for those a while back but its long since expired. Just like DeltaMac said, call Apple. Try not to take no for an answer at least until they offer you some kind of compensation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease when it comes to Apple.

Yeah, there was a problem with RAM slots on those. They had a repair extension for those a while back but its long since expired. Just like DeltaMac said, call Apple. Try not to take no for an answer at least until they offer you some kind of compensation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease when it comes to Apple.
Yes, especially with the history he lists above.

Call, email and snail mail, why not do all three?

Back