PC can see Mac, Mac cannot see PC. HELP!

leonardo leteli

Registered
Hi all,

just bought a MacBook (OSX 10.4.8) but still wanted to connect to the old PC (Windows XP)

I followed all steps imaginable and, from the PC, I can see/alter files in the Mac and the printer (HP 3100 Photo all-in-one).

From the Mac, I can see the PC, see the shared folder but not see/access any file inside that shared folder (I can even see how much space is left on my PC's HD, but not the files. go figure)

What happens is that when I click connect to the server (the PC's name is correct), it askes me to select the CMB/CIFS shared volume I want to connect to, already displays the SharedDocs name (the name of the folder on my PC).

If I press Authenticate again, it asks me for a worksgroup/name/password that Windows itself did not ask me when I was defining that folder as shareable (only the workgroup). No password will do! Not even after creating a new user/password on the XP and using this new user/password here.

If I press OK - it says the alias cannot be openned because the original item cannot be found (and gives me options to Delete the alias or Fix it)

Any ideas?

On the PC -
Have you created a shared folder by right-clicking on the folder and going to Properties and sharing it?

OK, ya. You did say that.
In Go > Connect to Server, enter smb://[IP address of the PC] and try connecting that way (should get the same authentication dialogs, etc).

0. i am running XP Professional (not that I know if it makes a difference, but just in case)

1. if i try smb://... to connect to the PC i get to the same place ("authenticate again")

2. i followed exactly those official instructions (http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/wxpfs.html) and here is the issue: it says "You should now be able to log into your PC (specifically accessing that shared folder) from your Mac. Just enter the name and password that you use to log into your PC into the login window that appears when you use the SMB method of connecting from your Mac, and the shared folder should mount as a volume"

well, none of my XP users had a password, so I tried name and no password, no name and no passoword and none of those worked. Then I created a new user with a password just for sharing purposes, and still am not able to see the files inside the shared folder ....

what I am missing? any tips?

thanks,

LL

Do you have usernames or passwords with unusual characters in them, like \ { " ' @ ? Are usernames longer than 13 chars?
This sounds like something wrong on the PC.

On Windows, go to the User Accounts control panel and turn on the "guest" account. Restart both Mac and PC and then try Adding the printer.

For further troubleshooting, in the Terminal on OS X, run this command:
smbclient -NL [IP address of PC]
(paste results back here -sanitize names if you need to)

1 have one username "2 Leonardo" and another one "mac". Since I set up passowrds only for this purpose,, htey are quite simple "teste" and "book".

Guest account was already on, the printer is connected directly to the PC (that's the main reason for the network)

did the terminal thing; here are the results:

Macintosh:~ leonardoletelier$ smbclient -NL 192.168.1.3
Domain=[COCOCA2] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
Impressora Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
Impressora4 Printer Gerado pelo HP Instant Share.
IPC$ IPC IPC remoto
SharedDocs Disk
print$ Disk Drivers de impressora
HP3110 Printer HP Photosmart 3100 series
Impressora5 Printer HP Photosmart 3100 series fax
ADMIN$ Disk Administraç╞o remota
C$ Disk Recurso compartilhado padr╞o
session request to 192.168.1.3 failed (Called name not present)
session request to 192 failed (Called name not present)
Domain=[COCOCA2] OS=[Windows 5.1] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

Server Comment
--------- -------

Workgroup Master
--------- -------
Macintosh:~ leonardoletelier$

now, interestingly it calls the domain "Cococa2" (the name of the PC) rather than "Homeoffice" (the name of the workgroup created). Unfortunately, not even changing that on the SMB/CIFS File System Autentication worked ...

thanks, stil more help needed ...

OK, to me it looks like the shares on the PC are OK.

The last idea I can think of is to go to Keychain Access (Mac > Applications > Utilities) and search for all entries that may be for the PC and delete them, and then try again.

did that, found a bunch on entries, deleted them all, tried all the passwords and nothing ...

My guess is that the problem is on the PC end (why woundn't that surpise me?)

problem solved !!

th issue was the name of the shared folder in the PC.
for some reason "SharedDocs" did not work. simply "Docs" did

thanks all for your help,

LL

Back