PC drive

zoranb

Registered
Well there is MACdrive (an app for winxp to enable HFS+ formatted HD to be read/writen on PCs) now i wanna ask is there PCdrive? As u prolly understood an app for MACOSX so that NTFS drives can ne read/written in MACs.
Is there sutch an app around? From what i knew on some time ago NTFS drives were only readonly in MACs though MACOSX only (without the use of any additional app)!
Has anything changed?

I cannot belive that nobody thought to take out sutch an app for MAOSX!!!
Its not like Apples/AppleFans way of working/thinking. And MACOSX for me is a complete OS, only this flaw troubles me!!!

Nope, NTFS is still read-only.

I'm sure plenty of people have thought about that idea before now -- but if you're not a programmer, you can't say, "Hey, someone just do it! It should be easy!"

NTFS is also a Microsoft product, so there may be licensing restrictions or something along the way. It's not like the code to the NTFS disk format is freely available to anyone, and if it is, writing drivers for Mac OS X to be able to read/write NTFS-formatted drives isn't just a drop in the hat.

Well Mediafour sure did manage greatelly with Macdrive. I still cant believe that nothing is out there, unforgivable if not, i can only forgive if like u said... licencing limitations...i dunno im dissapointed. Apple should have that fixed.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Nope, NTFS is still read-only.

I'm sure plenty of people have thought about that idea before now -- but if you're not a programmer, you can't say, "Hey, someone just do it! It should be easy!"

NTFS is also a Microsoft product, so there may be licensing restrictions or something along the way. It's not like the code to the NTFS disk format is freely available to anyone, and if it is, writing drivers for Mac OS X to be able to read/write NTFS-formatted drives isn't just a drop in the hat.

That's right, NTFS is owned by Microsoft. You can not access drives formatted with this, unless you have the drivers.

I have seen a Linux software, that can actually access NTFS with read/write permissions, but you would need the NTFS dll from Windows in order to do so. I think it's open source, so it might be possible that this can be compiled for PowerPC as well.

It's called Captive.

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Back