PCI Card in PC compatible in MAC?

t_habrock

Registered
I have run out of USB ports on my 1.25 Ghz PowerMac MDD G4 and need more so I can connect all my USB peripherals: scanner, printer, MBox, digital camera, et al...

I am a former PC/Windows user, and in my IBM PC, which is unused these days, I have a PCI-card with three USB ports, are these PCI-cards usually compatible with a Mac or do Macs require different cards - wasn't sure if they ran on the same protocol.

As always thanks for the help!

Tim

How about using a USB hub? You can find a variety at Staples, Wal-mart, target, bestBuy, where ever you can find PC stuff, You may have issues with certain USB PCI cards (although most should work) but any USB hub will work, although I would suggest getting one that's labeled to support USB 2.0, you'll be assured of getting a recent product that will work for you, plus ou have a choice of 2 or 4 connections, some even with 7 connections (hard to find), and they can be chained together to add even more connections. IMHO, 'D-Link' seems to have the best record with USB hubs. also, with your gear, make sure you get one that includes a power supply(not self-powered)

Yes, I was definitely considering that too, but since I already have a PCI-card sitting there doing nothing I thought I may as well try to utilize it and a little $$$ (at least for now).

But thanks for the advice and the tip on D-Link!

Tim

Belkin makes a good product too. Get the 7 port Hub and you will be happy.

You can try using the PCI card, but if you start experiencing any problems, take it out. It ain't worth the headaches.

Back