Pci Usb 2.0 Card And Sleep Problems

steelers

Registered
I just installed a iogear pci usb 2.0 card in my G4 867 Quick silver and now when I try to put it to sleep it does not always sleep. I am running 10.3.9 on my computer. Sometimes it will sleep as normal and sometimes the display will shut down but the cooling fan stays on and you have to hold the power button in to force it to shut down. I have unplugged all devices from the card and sleep problems still exists.

This is a known issue. All 3rd party PCI USB 2.0 and firewire cards (that I know of) cause this problem in the G4 PowerMacs. I have a mirror doors model and a belkin USB 2.0 card. I suffer the same problem and did some research when I started having the issue.

What you're experiencing is the card's inability to enter "deep sleep" where most activity in the computer ceases when the computer goes to sleep, including the fans.

Like dixonbm said, it's a known problem with expansion cards -- it's always a good idea to check with the manufacturer before purchasing and inquire about the cards "deep sleep" support.

To follow up on what I said before. You have a choice...to keep the upgrade and live without the ability to put your computer to sleep (which I do) or you can do without the card.

Good Luck!

Back