Perhaps to be expected...

Rhisiart

Registered
homepage.png

Got that email too. Is it everywhere or just UK users?

I know that the old stuff will be frozen and still be available, but not editable. But in the interest of tidiness, is there a simple way of transferring the old "Homepages" to iWeb?

I never went for .mac/mobile me in the end as it was just so much too pricey for the service - maybe convenience justifies it, or the cool email address but i have a domain and decent, cheap hosting that sutoinstalls plenty of webapps like gallery, wordpress etc, i never understood the advantage of Apple's offering. At least with my hosting thsi can;t happen, I own the domain and can always move it elsewhere.

Well, there are of course _several_ features of MobileMe that are great, not just homepage stuff. I rarely even use their hosting. For me it's about synching all my contact and calendar details among all my machines and my iPhone. It's so easy to set up a new Mac and feel at home... Even if you have to use someone else's machine for some time while your Mac is being repaired, you can simply activate the machine on MobileMe and have all your details readily available.

Also: Back to my Mac is useful even at home. My iMac's my main machine nowadays, but from bed, I can simply use it. And from work, I can do the very same thing, albeit a bit slower, because it's over the internet.

iDisk is helpful as well.

Sure: You can replace all the single services one way or another, but MobileMe "just works" and is a breeze to set up on a new machine. Typical Apple.

I guess it has moved on a lot since i last looked, to be honest I just ignored it since .mac arrived years back, that and a lot of the time i was a student without the cash to spend.

Got that email too. Is it everywhere or just UK users?

No it's everywhere. I also received that email yesterday.

Apple says you won't be able to edit your homepage.mac.com sites anymore. Is this just using Apple's own homepage editor or is this in general? Because I use Contribute to edit my sites, so I hope that will still work.

... Is this just using Apple's own homepage editor or is this in general? Because I use Contribute to edit my sites, so I hope that will still work.
Apple is not just ending use of its homepage editor. It is ending mac.com/me.com webhosting. Contribute will still work, but it won't work on any .mac sites.

Apple is not just ending use of its homepage editor. It is ending mac.com/me.com webhosting. Contribute will still work, but it won't work on any .mac sites.

Are you sure? Reading that announcement it says you can publish iWeb sites to MobileMe which suggests they still provide hosting of soem sort.

Are you sure? ...
On second thought--third, actually--no. Apple is dropping HomePage. MobileMe continues its webhosting service. You may continue to develop and post sites to MobileMe using iWeb.

My misreading of the MobileMe messages was based largely on experience with AOL which has dropped AOL Groups, its webhosting service, AOL Pictures, and its X Drive online storage. Apple began and ended its message with language that wildly oversold the adverse effects on its MobileMe customers.

Only one service, the .mac groups, is being discontinued. However, discontinued is the operative verb in the first sentence of the message. The tenor and tone of the first paragraph is all about the dire consequences of the discontinuation of HomePage. It is not until the end of the second paragraph that it is clear that the webhosting service continues. By then, however, many readers like me skipped to the end. The message ends with a sincere apology which only exaggerates to impression of adverse affects.

The operative verb should have been change. The message should have stated what is changing, how it is changing, and what we need to do about it. Apple needs to replace the person who wrote this message with someone who can present bad news without making it seem like the end of the world.

To be honest, I really didn't find Apple's announcement quite so ambiguous or quite as negative as all that. Anyway, a misunderstanding but no harm done.

It's a bit disappointing that these features are being dropped, but I suppose Homepage was beginning to look somewhat incongruous. Groups was quite a nice idea, although I have to admit not using it that heavily.

Ah, I also remember when we had iTools, prior to becoming .Mac... prior to becoming MobileMe.

Back