Permission Issue

bdemarco

Registered
For some reason, I now have problems copying files/folders from my MacBook Pro document folder to an external hard drive. The message I receive is:
"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."
However, I can go to my Windows 7 laptop, also tied into the network, and from that machine, actually copy the files from my MacBook Pro to the network hard drive.
The issue is when I attempt from my MacBook Pro to copy.
Suggestions on how to proceed or where I research an answer?
Thanks

That would be the problem, NTFS is only supported for read access on the Mac. You will need to re-partition using Disk Utility to either HFS+ if you only need Mac access or FAT32(MS-DOS) if you need read/write access from both OSX and Windows.

thanks
If you would please point me to where I might learn more about using Disk Utility to re-partition the network drive - hopefully I can do so without losing (reformatting) all my data.

You cannot repartition and/or reformat a drive without losing information -- that is the very definition of repartitioning and/or reformatting: preparing a drive for initial use, which involves removing all existing data from the drive.

Your only option is to back up the data to a different location (a different hard drive, for example), repartition/reformat the drive, then move the data back.

Be aware that there are some limitations to both FAT32 and HFS+ formats:

1) FAT32 drives, while compatible with both Mac and Windows, cannot store any file larger than 4GB in size, and has some file name length restrictions as well. Files that may be good to go on an NTFS drive may not be good to go on FAT32.
2) HFS+ drives are only compatible with Macs, unless you pay for and install 3rd-party software on your Windows machine that allows you to read and write to HFS+ formatted drives.

Back