permissions problem

fuzz

Registered
Several months ago, my hard drive was on the brink of crashing. I backed up all the data, and I think the data is fine. However, I have user permission problems. When I work on the files on Illustrator as user 'G', it won't let me save b/c of permission problems. I think when I restored the data, I was Admin. Rather than going through file by file (I've got thousands), I was thinking of backing everything up, and restoring it under user 'G'. Do you think that will work?

If you select all the files at once (if they are in a main folder, select that folder; if they are on a hard drive, select the entire hard drive). You can Get Info on all the files at once and change the permissions to Read&Write. Hopefully with the same user account you used to create the files in the first place.

Let us know how it works out! :)

Make sure you log in as the account that created the files and then try it. Or move the files out of your Public folder (if they are there) onto your desktop.

Sometimes actually copying the files to another drive then resetting the permissions will work.

Let us know…

It's more effective to reset the permissions/ownership for each user account.
You can do this by opening the terminal, and entering this command:

sudo chown -R username /Users/username

be careful of spaces, and case is important (-R is not the same as -r).
Of course, replace username with your actual account short name, and
press enter after the command and enter an administrator password.

You can do this same command for other accounts that you have. This should help 'weirdness' after copying a user account onto a different system, or simply copying a user folder from a backup.

Repair permissions is useful only for incorrect permissions in the main System area, and does not descend into user folders at all. In other words, user permissions can not be repaired/reset through the Repair Permissions function. The chown command in the terminal is really effective for this.

i logged in as root and changed the user permissions... seems to have worked. although in some instances, I get an error with a -603 ( i think ) when I try to change permissions on other folders.

Back