Permissions/Write Issue 10.4.11 Server

FlashMac

Registered
Hi

I have an XServe running 10.4.11, with a United Digital RAID.

About once a week I get a call from a user saying (and I quote one below):

I've just lost a large Photoshop file due to the ongoing server problem
- when you try to overwrite a file you're told you don't have permission,
and the original file disappears.

This has been happening on and off for about a year now, and I can't pin down the cause. Permissions are correct, they are saving to folders they have write access to - in fact they are usually opening those files, modifying them and saving them again when it happens. Due to hardware failures we've replaced the RAID three times this year, each time with a different model, so I'm fairly confident the RAID isn't involved.

The files that are affected are Adobe Creative Suite 2 and 3 files, mostly Photoshop but some Illustrator and InDesign.

Can anyone advise what I should check, or any known issues I've missed?

Many thanks for any help.

Many thanks Diablo. I've passed it on and they will work from desktop then drag when finished. To be honest I thought it was something like this, the simple fact that every network setup is different and the constant writing to and from CS files make the workflow unreliable, but I thought this was somewhat nebulous and vague and wanted something concrete to show the users, so an Adobe tech paper on is just the ticket. Some of them already to save large files to the desktop and then drag and drop, I just like people to work from the server when possible as the server is backed up, I guess it isn't possible with Adobe files if you want reliability. Thanks again.

Back