Phonebook and Stocks widgets useless (UK)

Jimbolgs

Registered
Sorry if this has been discussed already, I tried to search but found nothing of use.

Phonebook and Stocks widgets are no use in the UK unless there's something I'm missing.

Can't get prices for UK stocks and my postcode is in the phonebook but I get no results.

Anyone got any ideads?

Yeah, I read that post and I now have the weather for Manchester (UK) on my screen – Great, although I could just look out of my window.
Real shame if nothing can be done.

There's a widge SDK available. Perhaps some localized customized versions - or a better globally supported version - are in order? Remember, Apple is a US-based company and, like many others, supports multiple languages, currency and number formats ( and such ) as conveniences to users abroad. I'm sure a problem there lies in the fact that address formats are so vastly different across the globe and you can't count on city/state combinations (in the US), city/province (in Canada) and City/County/Country combinations (in Europe) and other such names being consistent. And in the US all postal codes are numeric, while in many other regions of the world they're alpha-numeric ranging from 3 characters to 12?, some with and others without hyphens, etc.

Here in the US there are some rules in place for addresses to *help* (but not eliminate) certain address-based problems. For instance, I live on a street called "Martha's Way" and I've seen it represented as "Marthas Way", "Martha Way" and "Martha s Way". According to USPostal Service guidelines, the "correct" way is "MARTHAS WAY", collapsing all "bad" characters down and representing addresses with letters and numbers only (I think hyphens are permitted).

In short, until the whole world uses common phone number and addressing schemes (and might as well factor in currency), there are always going to be certain voids in coverage.

$.02

I was just trying to use Mapquest the other day, trying to get driving mileage from my home in the US to a city in Canada. Talk about an interesting excercise. Sheesh.

chornbe said:
Remember, Apple is a US-based company .....formats are so vastly different across the globe ...until the whole world uses common phone number and addressing schemes

Chornbe I don't want to upset you, but please be aware of the following:

The "International Standards Organization" has defined what an address is.

The "International Telecommunications Union" defines what a telephone number is.

The "International Civil Aviation Organization" defines what an airport short-code is.

Software that does not comply to the standards emitted by these organizations (and rest assured the USA is a member state of these organizations) will not work properly in some countries.

Software that does comply, may not work if the data feeds are not provided (ie. if you don't load airport data feeds for Europe, don't expect them to show up).

Now the fact that you can telephone Europe, fly to China, send a postcard to Father Christmas are all indicative that these standards exist and are applied.

It would seem that Apple has either ignored the standards or does not provide the data feeds.

This is annoying because I strongly believe that a customer has the right to think that the goods he is buying will work in the country in which they were sold. Regardless of the nationality of the company and the place of manufacture.

Oh, I'm aware of the standards. And as I mentioned, they're simply not being followed in many cases. And by more than Apple. For instance, when I moved into my new house recently, I changed my address at my bank. Later, when ordering parts for my motorcycle to be delivered to the new house, my credit card wouldn't authorize because of the apostrophe in my street's name (Martha's Way). As a consumer, I shouldn't have to know that the postal guidelines mandate no punctuation like that in the name. The bank software and the merchant's websites should do it for me. And yet... they didn't. The credit card bombed because the merchant site and the bank couldn't agree on the address with which to validate.

I used to work in the transportation industry, believe me when I say it's pretty darned amazing ANYTHING finds a successful destination.

At all.

aicul said:
Chornbe I don't want to upset you, but please be aware of the following:

The "International Standards Organization" has defined what an address is.

The "International Telecommunications Union" defines what a telephone number is.

The "International Civil Aviation Organization" defines what an airport short-code is.

Software that does not comply to the standards emitted by these organizations (and rest assured the USA is a member state of these organizations) will not work properly in some countries.

Software that does comply, may not work if the data feeds are not provided (ie. if you don't load airport data feeds for Europe, don't expect them to show up).

Now the fact that you can telephone Europe, fly to China, send a postcard to Father Christmas are all indicative that these standards exist and are applied.

It would seem that Apple has either ignored the standards or does not provide the data feeds.

This is annoying because I strongly believe that a customer has the right to think that the goods he is buying will work in the country in which they were sold. Regardless of the nationality of the company and the place of manufacture.

Back