Photo Edition - Any app. like MS Photo Editor?

gabrielleitao

Issac Newton loves Apple
Since I got my Mac, I realized I couldn't edi my pictures (maybe because Im a fresh swicher... lol). I wanted to do this, most of thee time: change the resolution of my pictures to send some of them on an e-mail message, etc...

On my Pc, this can easily be done. I use Microsoft Photo Editor. What software can I use, a simple one, that don't need too much memory or speed to do those kind of things with photos and pictures? Also, do you know any Professional software to do that? So my question is if you know a simple software like MS Photo Editor for Mac, and the other question is if you know any Professional software to do those things.

Again, any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

I recommend Gimp.app (powermac provided the link). I've used it before and it comes closeto being the open source version of Photoshop (although Photoshop does a LOT more than Gimp can do, but it's still quite good). I've used it on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux for my photo editing.

Now, you can use iPhoto but that doesn't change the original image. It just makes meta-changes to the original image so that the original stays the same but you can save edited versions from it. (I hope that makes some sense... :p)

Seashore is nice, but it doesn't have a lot of the features that Gimp.app has. Think of it as a stripped down version of Gimp. But it is a good recommendation. :)

It's like (MS) Paint II for Mac. Don't expect photoshop, but it handles basic editing very well.

I tend to use ToyViewer for most basic image editing stuff that doesn't require Photoshop's horse power.

Unlike GraphicConverter, ToyViewer is free. Unlike Gimp, ToyViewer is Mac OS X native (predates just about all other image apps in Mac OS X except TIFFany).

If you have to spend money, Photoshop Elements would be my first recommendation.

Oddly, this isn't the first thread on this type of subject...

:rolleyes:

So nixgeek, have you ever even tried ToyViewer? I find it odd when I see you recommend using an X11 app before a completely free Mac OS X native app.

Gimp is a great app on the platforms it runs natively on (I use it on my SGI)... but they ignore Macs. Why recommend an app on a platform that the developers don't even give the same consideration to as they do to Windows or Linux?

Recommending an app that treats Macs as a second class platform seems a little odd to me. :confused:

I haven't ever heard of it, but I'll give it a try. I'm sure if I had heard of it I would recommend it. This is the first time I've heard of it.

I only recommended what I had experience with, and in using Gimp.app I've been pretty happy with it. While it requires X11, that doesn't really bother me. Kind of like poopooing my choice of using Firefox because it's not as Maclike as Camino or Safari. It's just what I prefer and use, and it's been good to me.

Of course, if we were talking Oo_O, I would definitely recommend NeoOffice over Oo_O for the Mac. Now THAT'S an app that REALLY needs reworking on the Mac! :rolleyes:

nixgeek said:
I only recommended what I had experience with, and in using Gimp.app I've been pretty happy with it. While it requires X11, that doesn't really bother me. Kind of like poopooing my choice of using Firefox because it's not as Maclike as Camino or Safari. It's just what I prefer and use, and it's been good to me.
Yeah, but I poopoo both Camino and Safari... as I think the only real Mac-like browser is OmniWeb! :D

That having been said, I actually use Firefox more than Safari.

Of course, if we were talking Oo_O, I would definitely recommend NeoOffice over Oo_O for the Mac. Now THAT'S an app that REALLY needs reworking on the Mac!
I really think that X11 has been an easy out for some developers. It has given them the ability to ignore the Mac and still say "will it does run on Macs". Yeah, it runs on Macs, but then again so do Windows apps in VirtualPC or Parallels... but that doesn't make those Mac apps.

When looking at open source projects I see a number of different levels of commitment. You have both Gimp and OpenOffice which basically would just as soon spit on the Mac as look at it (neither SeaShore nor NeoOffice are part of the main development communities of Gimp and OpenOffice). And then you have projects like AbiSource and Mozilla who make an honest attempt at making Mac versions of their apps.

While neither AbiWord nor Firefox are going to replace TextEdit and OmniWeb for me, I consider those two communities to be putting the Mac platform on an equal footing with other platforms they support.

Have I ever said anything against them? Yes, if you consider comments where I was critiquing their apps compared to other Mac-only apps. I have said that I felt that both AbiWord and Firefox are only as good as they are on the worst platform on which they run. And that rather than taking advantage of what makes the Mac great, they follow a least common denominator development plan.

As someone who wants to see apps take full advantage of Mac OS X, I've said the same thing about most Carbon apps (Carbon apps tend to have few true advantages over their original Mac OS versions in Mac OS X). But That doesn't mean that I don't respect the fact that the least common denominator development plan puts the Mac at an equal level with all other platforms... which is way better than being an after thought like we are with both the Gimp and OpenOffice communities.

On other platforms Gimp and OpenOffice are great apps. I've been using Gimp since 1999 on my SGIs and have loved it! But running Gimp or OpenOffice in X11 on a Mac is like running Windows apps in VirtualPC/Parallels/Wine on a Mac. If you let developers off the hook by saying that those environments are good enough, more developers are going to stop making any effort to make real Mac apps.

In software development the squeaky wheel adage is really true. The Mac has survived as long as it has by Mac users not settling for less. By saying that it is okay to run Gimp and OpenOffice in X11, it is telling those communities that we are willing to settle for less... which means they'll not put any additional resources into making true Mac versions of either of those.

I'm not poopooing Gimp because you like it (how can I, I like it too). I'm saying don't reward Gimp (or OpenOffice for that matter) for their lack of efforts towards our platform of choice.

And all I have to say to that is......

mm-kay.

:p

I understand where you come from, though. They should commit to porting it to the Mac properly. However, I think they sometimes do this for consistency. That said, sometimes that can be a bad thing.

Anyways, don't mean to take this thread over and make it a debate about FLOSS on Macs. I'm actually downloading ToyViewer and I'm going to give it a try....but Gimp.app is also downloaded in case I need something to fall back on... :D

I forgot that Graphic Converter was a paid app. It came bundled on my PB, and have gotten free upgrades all along.

I tend to use ToyViewer for most basic image editing stuff that doesn't require Photoshop's horse power.

Unlike GraphicConverter, ToyViewer is free. Unlike Gimp, ToyViewer is Mac OS X native (predates just about all other image apps in Mac OS X except TIFFany).

If you have to spend money, Photoshop Elements would be my first recommendation.

Oddly, this isn't the first thread on this type of subject...

:rolleyes:

So nixgeek, have you ever even tried ToyViewer? I find it odd when I see you recommend using an X11 app before a completely free Mac OS X native app.

Gimp is a great app on the platforms it runs natively on (I use it on my SGI)... but they ignore Macs. Why recommend an app on a platform that the developers don't even give the same consideration to as they do to Windows or Linux?

Recommending an app that treats Macs as a second class platform seems a little odd to me. :confused:
i had nice experience with this photo editor for mac http://macphun.com
it also have user-friendly interface to use
i like it because of full retina display support

When I replied to this I hadn't realized that it is from 2006. So gabrielleitao

is probably long gone. Anyway both Gimp and Openoffice are now native Mac apps. I like Photoshop Elements.

Since this thread is now alive again: Pixelmator (App Store) is a great Photoshop alternative for the lower budget. Good support on iOS and OS X. For an old Photoshopper, many things are a bit different, other things are just where you expect them to be.

Back