Photoshop 7 is FINALLY HERE! YAY!

simX

Unofficial Mac Genius
And it's MAC OS X native!

I just happened to glance at Apple's Mac OS X page at this time of night, and I saw the Adobe Photoshop icon and this comment:

"File browser, healing brush, paint engine, automation, ironclad security. (Oh yeah — Mac OS X native.)"

Now we can focus our attention to Macromedia. Damn them! :)

GO MAC OS X! DIE CLASSIC!

Oh, by the way, it's not shipping yet. :p A MacWorld article says it will ship in Spring. :p

I have a beta of it (beta 43) and it's great. It's very snappy to be a OS X app and has cool new features. Can't wait to buy for the retail version!

Now all we have to do is sit back for another 6 months and wait for dreamweaver....pardon me for not jumping for joy...bad back ya know.:rolleyes:

It's great that Adobe finally at least announced PS7, but it's still at least 6 weeks away from being in our hands. I was expecting a mid March release, so I'm a little disappointed. But if it takes them that long to get it right, I can wait. I have b62 and it is almost perfect. I've been using the betas daily since b43 popped up on Carracho back in late December.

Now, with regard to Macromedia's holdouts. I too am in need of Dreamweaver to finally be rid of Classic. There is some good news regarding this...

By now everybody knows the Flash6 beta has been leaked and is floating about. What you probably haven't heard is that the FireworksMX beta is floating about too. Why is this good news you say? Because Fireworks and Dreamweaver follow the same development schedule, since they ship as a seperate packages and a combined suite.

This must mean that Dreamweaver is in the beta stage as well, and I'd be real surprised if we didn't see leaked betas of it within the next few weeks.

The thing I find funny about the lateness of Dreamweaver coming out for OSX is that it was first previewed at MWNY 2000, at the same keynote that Apple introduced the Cube. Both it and Fireworks were some of the first publicly displayed carbonized applications for OS X. And it looks like they will be two of the late additions to the party...

Another potential good thing about Macromedia... They usually don't "announce" applications in the same sense as Adobe, ie - announce them and then miss the self imposed shipping dates. When Macromedia announces an app, it is usually just 30 days before it ships. And since Macromedia is big on the Electronic Download system, you can get the release quicker than you could from boxed channels.

What would a consumer (like me) use photoshop for? I have iPhoto and I like it a lot. It removes red-eye, crops, and organizes my photos (and other things too).

I know that photoshop is a huge app getting into it's features is probably a lot of effort. I'll limit my question to this:

If I decided that I wanted to do more photo cleanup than iPhoto provides would photoshop be the app for it? Or, is it better suited for big jobs (movie posters, marketing depts, etc?

Vanguard

If I decided that I wanted to do more photo cleanup than iPhoto provides would photoshop be the app for it? Or, is it better suited for big jobs (movie posters, marketing depts, etc?

PixelNhance provides basic image adjustment features, brightness, contrast, levels, saturation, tones, ssharpness, noise, etc. And it's free.

If you aren't doing any serious composition work, PixelNhance, GraphicConverter and iPhoto make one hell of a low cost image manipulation suite.

Does anyone know if photoshop 7 will be optimised for dual processor systems (under os x) in addition to being optimised for the g4 processor??

Under OS X, basically every app which uses more than one thread is optimized for SMP systems.
Wait a sec...

yup, it defnitely is multithreaded (shame if not) and thus supports SMP.

I still wish Apple would finally multithread the Calculator so each button is handled in it's own thread!

Wait, I don't have a SMP system at the moment....

Apple, keep that single threaded calculator.

Note to myself: drink less coffee

Photoshop is optimized for the G4, at least parts of it are, and yes, it takes advantage of dual processors. Actually, it has had DP support since version 2.5 I believe (back then, the only DP machines were by Radius).

Also of note...

If you want to get at the head of the line for preorders, Apple and MacMall are both allowing you to place your order starting today. Apple's price for the ugprade is $149, Macmall's is $134.99.

Already placed my order!

Erm...
has any of you guys checked to see if there are copies floating around umph*carracho*?

Originally posted by Solaris
Does anyone know if photoshop 7 will be optimised for dual processor systems (under os x) in addition to being optimised for the g4 processor??

if I'm not mistaken, applications don't have to be specifically written to take advantage of dual-processors in OS X -- I think dual-processing is handled mostly by the system software now. Of course, there are certain things that application developers can do to make SMP (symmetric multi-processing, right?) run better -- like better coding, which should be done anyways.

I think it would be safe to say that applications don't have to have specific SMP code written into them to run better on a dual-processor machine now under OS X. I could be mistaken, though...

...and you can bet your sweet bippy that it will be heavily optimized for G4 systems... ;)

No, it's not the GM... It's rock solid and very close to being done, but it's not the GM...

The GM will have the correct splash screens for both applications. b62 is still using the beta splash screens (although ImageReady's splash screen is accessible through the easter egg shortcut).

Also missing from b62 is the Applescript plugin, which hasn't been included with any beta build as of yet (at least not the ones up on Carracho).

I doubt that b62 is even a release candidate. With Adobe setting a release date for early April, they have given themselves PLENTY of time to declare a GM. Really, as long as it's declared GM by the last week in March they will be poised to make their ship date.

Back