Photosmart 7350 with Mac Mini's 10.4.5?

Vladtamo

Registered
Hi:
I've just moved from a PC to a Mac Mini, and I'm trying to hook my hp photosmart 7350 up. I've downloaded HP's driver file (which says compatible with 10.4), and the Mac clearly recognizes my printer. However, even after I've run the HP setup assistant the Mac still does not list my model as an option. When I choose one of the other photosmart models (P1100 or something), and I try sending something to the printer, the printer's status window says it's waiting for the device. Any ideas how to get this photosmart 7350 working with a new Mac Mini?

Thanks,
Adam

Have you used the "Printer Setup Utility"?

Printer Setup Utility lets you set up and access printers. To open it, double-click its icon (located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder). If your printer isn't listed, click "add". If your printer still isn't listed, click "more printers" and from the drop down menu pick your printer with it's relevant connection (ie - HP USB). Your computer should then prompt you, asking if you wish to add the printer...

Is your new mini, an intel mini?
If so, HP does not have a universal driver for your printer. Come back if you need help on changing the Printer Setup Utility to open with Rosetta.

Hi, there:
Thanks for responding. I'm new to Mac, and I don't know what Rosetta is or how to use it. If you could pass along a couple pointers, that would be great. Thanks!

--Adam

Rosetta is the built-in software that OS X uses to run non-universal code software on an Intel processor Mac. You do not need to know how to use Rosetta, the system uses it 'auto-magically', whenever it is needed.
Rosetta is not needed if you do not have an Intel processor.
Which Mac mini do you have?
You can quickly find out by clicking on the Apple in the upper left corner, choosing About This Mac from the menu.
Tell me which processor you have....

OK, that explains your trouble....

Find your Printer Setup Utility - it's in your Applications/Utilities folder.
Don't open it, just click so it's selected. Then Get Info (under the File menu)
Click in the box 'Open with Rosetta', and close that Info window.
NOW, open Printer Setup Utility, and you should be able to add that printer successfully. You should just leave Printer Setup Utility set to open with Rosetta.
Check occasionally at the HP web site for updates for your printer that support the Intel Macs (usually referred to as a universal update, or universal code.)

This sounds great! When I get home I'll try it...thanks so much for your help. Know that it is truly appreciated.

--Adam

Back