PHP and MySQL

hibachipenguins

Registered
I am running a G4 tower with OS X Server 10.4.8 with stock apache and php.

I recently installed mysql 5.0 so I could run bblog on a few of my websites. When I run the config page for bblog (which is php so I know that is working at least) I put in the mysql info and try to continue but it says that it is unable to connect to the database. I know the database is running and I know the info supplied is correct.

I read somewhere that by default OS X php does not know where to correctly find MySQL or something of the likes, however now that I need to know it I can't find the article on how to fix it or exactly where the problem lies.

Anyone have any ideas, I've been stressing out for 3 hours now trying to get it working.

I have a similar is issue occurring on one of my machines - a panther server on which I upgraded MySQL.

One of the things I check was to check what directory the socket was being saved to.

You can use MySQL Administrator to check this - its part of the MySQL GUI Tools, and edit the php.ini file to make sure the socket is pointing to the same directory.

I think there needed to be some permissions set as well, but because it didn't resolve the issue I was having I didn't attempt to remember it - but that might give you enough info to find the answer for yourself.

Try using 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost. I had problems with localhost but 127.0.0.1 worked. They should be the same thing but it wasn't.

I'm new to Mac OS X Server (started last night). I found /usr/bin/mysql from the terminal window so I know Apple included mysql but I'm not sure where in the admin tool to start/configure it. Can someone giver me a pointer?

thanks,
Bill

Found the MySQL Manager so answered part of my question. I don't however see in the manager how to get MySQL to start automatically on reboot. Is there an option for this?

thanks,
Bill

Try mysql Admin. You can bring it up using mySQL admin. There is a piece of add-in software that you need to install after installing mySQL. It came together with it. It automatically starts mySQL each time you reboot your MAC,, else, you will have to start it from the command line or using mySQL Admin.

Back