Php

JelvisChan

Registered
I just enabled PHP on my iMac 2008 ( Leopard ).

What I want to do is make a regular html form that, when submitted, goes into a database -- which I have used MySQL.

I made the html form, put I do not know how to link PHP and MySQL to process the form.

Please don't make your answer too technical because I am HIGHLY a beginner.

Thank you for your time.

-JelvisChan

Then you may want to start off learning some simple php before you dive into database connectivity.

There are a few things you will need to learn before embarking on this project:

1) A working knowledge of HTML, XHTML, or some HTML derivative.
2) A working knowledge of web programming, including how web servers work and how to modify them (specifically Apache, since that's what you'll be using under Mac OS X).
3) A working knowledge of php -- what it is, how it works, and how to program with it.
4) A working knowledge of mySQL -- what it is, how it works, and how to create and modify databases and tables.

You would be best off learning those things in that specific order.

If you want someone to "do it all for you," then there are plenty of scripts and help files on the internet, easily found with simple Google searches.

I make a portion of my livelihood doing simple things like this, and generate income because I took the time to attend a university, ponied up my own money, and learned how to do these things the right way and the efficient way. For me to give that knowledge away for free would be both inconsiderate to you and silly for me. I would gladly do these things for you -- or walk you through the entire process and share my knowledge (in essence, "teach") for an hourly fee. I know that's probably not the route you want to go down, but it takes time, effort, and usually money to learn how to assemble all those technologies together to do the kinds of things that you want.

Instead, I recommend this: start off slow. Don't jump right into tying php to a SQL database. Learn php first. Then learn mySQL. Then the tying together is simple.

Research what you need, step by step, and I'd be glad to help you through any stumbling blocks you may encounter when you encounter them. Even though an HTML form that submits information via php into a database is relatively "easy," it's along the lines of asking, "How do I assemble a car engine? Go easy on me, I've never even looked under the hood of my own car." That's why mechanics get paid big bucks -- if everyone knew how to do it, there'd be no reason to ask and there would be no vocational schools that teach people how to work on a complex machine.

So you've got your html form... cool... do you know how to access the form fields of the HTML form using php with either GET or POST methods? If not, research and practice that, because that's step one in doing what you need to do. In your research and practice, if there's something you don't understand, or something that's causing you trouble, post back and we'll help you get through it. Then we can move on to putting that information into a database.

Maybe someone else will give you a detailed step-by-step, but I won't (and it certainly won't help you learn anything if someone does it all for you) -- I learned this through a lot of effort, practice, studying and money and I won't give that knowledge away for free. I will gladly help you overcome any obstacles one-by-one, though.

Back