Pics of the Virginia Tech Cluster!

How do you back up a system that large? I couldn't even imagine repairing permissions on it. But I bet you can have some serious mods running Quake on it. :D

What about the evil Bill? He must be seething mad. Or maybe he doesn't care.

Originally posted by arden
What about the evil Bill? He must be seething mad. Or maybe he doesn't care.

One 1100-machine cluster isn't really much of a threat to Bill or Steve.

1100 clusters of 1100 machines would make them a bit more nervous... (But only a bit - there were what, 50 million PCs sold last year? that'd only be a little over 2% of them...)

The Altivec thing is prolly true, but it still works for Macs. And now that the G5 is out, maybe they'll optimise it! But its not dead, you can download it here.

Originally posted by Stridder44
The Altivec thing is prolly true, but it still works for Macs. And now that the G5 is out, maybe they'll optimise it! But its not dead, you can download it here.

Well yea, but it hasn't been updated in ages and is basically like running 68k code on a G3. This is plain floating point number crunching, so it could've been done at least four times faster with altivec optimization. I've got better things to use my CPU power on :p

When I had it installed on my QS 933 (1024mb ram), each packet took over 10 hours to process!

That annoyed me to no end! So I removed it after that one packet was finished! *l* I wanna find ET, but hey... let's get some Altivec optimizations in there! :->

JESUS!!! That is absolutely insane. I couldnt even imagine the bill for keeping that thing up and running. So amazingly cool though.

Originally posted by ksv
Well yea, but it hasn't been updated in ages and is basically like running 68k code on a G3. This is plain floating point number crunching, so it could've been done at least four times faster with altivec optimization. I've got better things to use my CPU power on :p

Just out of curiosity, are there any other type of programs out there for OS X like Seti (or a program like it, one where you can leave it running when your away from your computer)?

Just out of curiosity, are there any other type of programs out there for OS X like Seti (or a program like it, one where you can leave it running when your away from your computer)?

Yep. Folding@home -- it searches for different ways that protiens can fold, for use in new medical treatments.

Folding@home page

I was just wondering what it takes to maintain all those computers? Do you have to run software update on all of them? Is there some central "brain" computer that runs them all? If there is a link to this info that would be fine. Just curious.

Matt Shannon

Back