Pioneer DVD-116 problems

cory1848

Registered
Hoping some of you can help me with some issues I am having with a Pioneer DVR-116 burner that I just got. I have a MDD 867 dual mac with 2.0 gigs of ram. I just added the last 512 chip of ram and that seems to check out.

There are some strange things going on with this. So let me try and explain. After reboot, drive burns fine up to about 4 gigs, anything more than that and I get a coaster along with needing to restart my mac. Been using toast 6 mainly, when I insert disk, it appears as a DVD with the disk icon. Open toast and then I will notice that a second disk icon appears, then after about a minute or so, a third will appear and so on, had up to 7 icons listed. After the burn, I have to eject all those icons to get rid of them. The first burn is usually successful. Anything after the first burn is a crapshoot. I have seen the DVD icon change to a CDR icon and I have seen the DVD icon change to just a burn folder icon. Once this happens, its a guaranteed coaster. I have the drive in my second bay running as slave. OS is Tiger 4.11. The only way that seems to fix this is to restart. Sometime it will lock the computer up forcing a hard restart.

Can anyone help with this? Bought the burner through OWC.com and it was matched to my system however it didnt come packaged in an original box and no paperwork for the drive itself either, so I am wondering if its a crap drive...thoughts?

Just chatted with OWC's tech support and they now say that the drive is only Natively supported under 10.5, contradicting their website. So I guess I wont be using this with IDVD anytime soon. Told me to upgrade my copy of toast as well, although I am not sold that is the reason.

That's rotten luck for you, and you're right about the contradiction. This would be one of the first negative posts about Pioneer I've seen in a long while. OWC does point out that a later version of Toast will give better results (my interpretation), and I agree. Check too that you're using the latest media. Does your G4 meet the IDE port requirement or are you using the drive externally via Firewire? As an alternative to Toast, have you considered using Disk Utility, or maybe a third-party app called QuickBurn?

Back