Pioneer DVR-105 OEM A05 version Compatible with G4?

keyizm

Registered
Does anyone know if the Pioneeer DVR-105 is compatible with my AGP G4 Mac? I saw a SWEET deal to get one online for $167 (see URL below). I checked the Apple website and the only page I can find for supported DVD-R drives covered the ones supported by DVD Studio Pro. It does list there that DVD Studio Pro is compatible with the DVR-105 & DVR-A05 via Firewire (which i'm assuming means via an external Firewire case).

So ... can I purchase on of these bad boys, take out my internal DVD-RAM drive (which I'd put into an external Firewire case) and install the Pioneer DVR inside and get OS X to think it's a Superdrive? If not, can I stick the Pioneer drive into an external Firewire drive and run it under OS X without any problems? Will it work it iDVD via externa Firewire drive or does iDVD only work with internal Superdrives.

My conern comes from the Yahoo ad page that say Mac compatibility is not guranteed however it seems to be the exact same version listed on the Apple Support page for DVD Studio Pro.

If someone could shed some light on this ASAP that'd be great. I SOOOOO want to grab one of these bad boys before they sell out!!!

Apple Website: Supported DVD-R drives for DVD Studio Pro
URL: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=37164

Online Deal For Pioneer DVR Drive:
URL: http://store.yahoo.com/livewarehouse/piondvdvcddr.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but AFAIK that is the Superdrive. You should have no problems using it, therefore.

Well, there is a site that posts people's experience with all kinds of upgrades. It's called xlr8yourmac.com. I've posted the drive compatibility lasso so plug in your computer and the drive you want to put in. Then read everyones experience with their upgrades.

arden ... thanks for the advice. i installed the Panasonic DVD-R and it works like WONDERS!!! plus it was MAD CHEAP =) if anyone else is interested, i HIGHLY recommend purchasing one from the URL above if they're still available.

i haven't actually had a chance to burn a DVD yet but when you check the device under Apple System Profiler it's listed as being "Fully Supported" and i've burned a CD plus used it to view DVDs (data & video) along with CDs (data & video). if you check apple's website for iDVD it's listed as a supported device so i'm guessing since everything else works, it should work as well. i'll try burning something this weekend with iDVD and posting a response.

Thanks. Does it work with DVD-RW? I hear the alubooks do, and I really dont want to spend $5 a pop to backup onto media I can't reuse again.

yup ... it says the drive suppots 1x & 2x DVD-RW format. i haven't tried it out though. take a look at the link at the top of this post that gives all the info about the drive.

It's funny how they say Mac compatibility isn't guaranteed while this is actually the drive that Apple uses.

I wish I'd seen this before my dad bought me a CD-RW burner. He got me a Fantom 52x24x52 Firewire drive (which incidentally hasn't started burning yet), but at $160 I would have asked for the Superdrive.

Back