Pismo Question - Boot Problem

CalSD

Registered
I have a Pismo 500Mhz with 128Mb of RAM and a "test" 2Gb hard drive from a Wallstreet (running 9.x) with a 40Gb coming, missing the battery and DVD ROM drive... When I would reset the PRAM on my Wallstreet, it would light up spinning the fan, etc. Now, when I go to reset the PRAM on my Pismo, it will not do any of that. I checked all the parts and they seem to be OK as far as I can tell... I went and reset the power manager via the back of the machine. I also removed the RAM and got it to give me one beep indicating the RAM is missing, so I know the processor board is good. I can tell it is getting power as when I hit the "caps lock" key it lights up. Could the boot problems be related to the hard drive and/or lack of battery and DVD ROM drive? Opinions? Thanks in advance! :eek:

So when you say it's missing the battery, do you mean you only have one of two batteries in one of the bays of the Pismo? If you don't have enough power you will have start up problems and your computer will constantly "sleep" on you.

The hard drive you have installed is VERY small, and if it's full of documents/files you might have a hard time running anything. However, OS 9 needs much less disk space than OS X; but 2 GB might be pushing it.

Does any of this help? :)

I don't have anything in either of the bays... P.S. The 2Gb is only a test drive and a 40Gb is "in the mail".

I believe you need a battery to use the Pismo, whether you're using AC power or not.

Not 100% sure, but about 75% sure on this one. Has the machine ever booted without a battery?

If I'm not mistaken, the rechargable batteries for laptops double as the PRAM battery for the computer, so if you reset the PRAM without a battery in the bay, well, then there's no PRAM at all... chalk this one up to 75% sure as well...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Back