PISSED OFF AT ITUNES!!! I lost my ratings forever!!! WAHHHH!!!!! :-( :-( :-(

Solrac: your mistake was when you trashed all your files. iTunes asked you if you really wanted to delete all those files. You said yes. It updated it directory.

You've learned your lesson.

It aint Apple's fault.

---

What you can do is download pthitunesnotifier. A deamon I use for my iTunes hotkeys, like play and skip. It also offers solution for rating process. Just program f1-f5 for the star ratings and when a song plays, just press the key you wish. You can even have "increase star" or "decrease star" keys.

good luck.

- dundee

Originally posted by ony_gosshamer
What you can do is download pthitunesnotifier. A deamon I use for my iTunes hotkeys, like play and skip. It also offers solution for rating process. Just program f1-f5 for the star ratings and when a song plays, just press the key you wish. You can even have "increase star" or "decrease star" keys.
huh? USE SynergY!!! it's the only shareware i've ever paid for. seriously, it's that good.. US$5, the bargain of the century in my opinion..

So, Solrac, instead of buckling down and re-rating the songs that you had rated before, you decided to write an indignant post on here blaming everything but yourself, and you still have to go back and re-rate everything. Let this be a lesson to you.

Originally posted by arden
So, Solrac, instead of buckling down and re-rating the songs that you had rated before, you decided to write an indignant post on here blaming everything but yourself, and you still have to go back and re-rate everything. Let this be a lesson to you.

Oh PLEASE.

It's been months and I still haven't had time to re-rate the songs yet because I just didn't have 6 hours to devote to it yet.

Writing this post took only 20 minutes at most. So lose the arrogant attitude and put yourself in my shoes. Apple does not document the specifics of moving your songs to another hard drive with a warning that ratings are not saved with your files. Now think of yourself losing so much data, and not whether it was your fault or not, but just the feelign you would have in your heart, and take that, and think about it cuz that's all that matters.

Computers should make it difficult to lose data, not easy.

I thought about it, and at the end I came to the conclusion that I simply would have done it.

You're right on the last point, though.

It's been months and I still haven't had time to re-rate the songs yet because I just didn't have 6 hours to devote to it yet.
Gee, it couldn't have been that big a loss then. Not one on the epic scale of the first post (much less the heading).
PISSED OFF AT ITUNES!!! I lost my ratings forever!!! WAHHHH!!!!! :-( :-( :-(
This is not fair!!!!!
I can never listen to my music the same way again!!!!
POS iTunes screwed everything up!!
EVERYTHING BUT THE RATINGS!!!!
ALL THE RATINGS ARE GONE!!
MY FAVORITE SONGS PLAYLIST IS RUINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What the hell???? The ratings information is only stored in the iTunes Music Library.xml file. They are NOT stored on the song, like any other ID3 tag. Even lyrics (not supported by iTunes) are stored in the song like ID3 tags!!
WHY WOULDN'T ITUNES SAVE THE RATINGS INFO INTO THE SONG???!!!!
NOW I LOST ALL MY RATINGS!!!! If I backed up all my music to another hard drive, and had to recover it all after a hard drive crash, MY RATINGS WOULD BE ERASED EVERY TIME!!!!!
This is so bad, Apple... so bad... :-( :-(

It wasn't Apple's fault. One, you should have backed up. Two, you could have researched it a little before making the move to see if anything bad could happen. That said, you learned a painful lesson and don't need injury added to insult. It's just that your first post was so emotional, that you're bound to get emotional responses.
I think BobW hit the nail on the head right on with
No one HAS to backup their stuff, but if they value it, and it's not replaceable, they would be very foolish not to. I always tell people the number one rule in computing is BackUp. It's simple to do and can be done without notice.

You see, this is where you are so wrong.

Your entire argument is instantly null and moot.

Why? Because I DID BACK EVERYTHING UP!!!! GRRRRRR!!!!

The process of BACKING up my FILES made the iTunes application OVERWRITE A SYSTEM file that held ALL MY RATINGS.

Do people know their ratings are in the XML file? NO! Does Apple instruct them of this? NO! Even I, an apple mac ELITE user, overlooked this fact. Since lyrics, album art, name, title, album, year, track number... EVERYTHING is stored in the music file.. I just assumed ratings were too. BUT NOOOOooOOOO... ratings are in some XML file that can get instantly overwritten without any warning!

So you see, I did back everything up. The backup process made the SOFTWARE erase another file. Now THAT, my friend, is BAD COMPUTING.

Okay, okay, calm down. To backup the XML file, Option-drag it to somewhere in your Documents folder. Then it can't get written over by iTunes.

Originally posted by arden
Okay, okay, calm down. To backup the XML file, Option-drag it to somewhere in your Documents folder. Then it can't get written over by iTunes.

Yeah but the sad part is that I knew about this XML file all along. I knew it was created by iTunes upon reading all the song files, and that it was linked to your music library. I knew all this.

I just didn't know it held the ratings.

I could've EASILY backed up the XML file but I really didn't think about it.

By putting the ratings in the XML file, Apple is treating it like saved preferences. If you save prefs in any app, it's written to a file that you can trash to reset your prefs. It's so wrong to treat song ratings like that. Jeez!!

Of course I'll back up that file from now on. :rolleyes:

You can use BackUp software (Apple's Backup) to backup your iTunes playlists to a mac.com server and that'll save the ratings as well.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
You can use BackUp software (Apple's Backup) to backup your iTunes playlists to a mac.com server and that'll save the ratings as well.

:cool:

Back