platinum vs aqua

i miss platinum... it was so plain and just there. Aqua is something you look at, and enjoy it. Aqua is like art, platinum is just something you don't notice much,.

Originally posted by Androo
i miss platinum... it was so plain and just there. Aqua is something you look at, and enjoy it. Aqua is like art, platinum is just something you don't notice much,.

totally agree, i like 'playing' (browsing, iTunes etc) in aqua but i prefer working with platinum cos it's just there and i can get on and do what i do.

Checkout http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html

Apple should get this guy back.

>Apple should get this guy back.

He is a conservative idiot. His arguments are childish and he seem to think that everyone else is as stupid.

we're heading off the thread but...

Think 'conservative idiot' is a bit strong, have you read any of his other Mac related articals? he does make some good points regarding usability.

which args do you think childish?

Yeah, i know i might have sounded a bit too hard on him. And maybe it was unfair, since i have not read any of his other articles.
Childish: he is bitching about everything about the dock just to argue about it. Like the trash-can. He does not highlight the good thing about it, that it never gets behind any windows etc. he just says that it should be in the right corner, and it isnt if you get dual monitors.
And he says you cant see the the difference between folders in the dock. Well use different icons for them for heavens sake :)
He just sees problem cuz he likes to see problems.

I think he had a lot to do with the old UI so i admit some of his args sound a bit like "X isn't my party, so i'm going to slag it off".

How do you change folder icons? this would help me no end.

Do check out his other articals though, there's a great one about how the M$ UI gets everythink wrong... hangon, "Windows isn't my party......." lol - seeing a pattern here

Originally posted by abyard
totally agree, i like 'playing' (browsing, iTunes etc) in aqua but i prefer working with platinum cos it's just there and i can get on and do what i do.

Checkout http://www.asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html

Apple should get this guy back.

Man, that guy is really out of it.
One of my biggest things about getting X on my computer was for the dock, I think it is a brilliant idea.
However, I think the dock still needs much more customization options. For examples: I think you should be able to pin the dock to one corner in System Preferences, not have to use a hack.
It would also be nice to have the option do have several docks.
Another thing I was just thinking about would be to split the dock into two parts, one pinned to the right corner and one pinned to the left corner. The left one would be for the icons that you keep in the dock, and the right one for minimized windows, open applications, the trash, and any folders you keep in the dock.

I personnally like Aqua, its general feel. I do not find it obstrusive, even though I think it's a shame my system UI eats so much of my CPU.

I often work either in OS 9.2.2, either in Classic, using QuarkXPress 4.11 Passport, Microsoft Word 98, Distiller 5. I have a little preference for working with OS9 applications like that booted in Classic, in such a way I have, on the one hand, fast and powerful Classic programs, and my OSX elegant Safari/Mail/iTunes programs beside, on the other one.

Hence what I prefer is a mix of Platinum and Aqua :D

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Well, it's a fact. Many freelancers are kids either in/just out college, and as a result, don't have a lot of money.

Not in my experience, sir. Most of the independent contractors I know are people like myself, professionals in their 30's - 50's and making use of their talents and experience on their own behalf, after having grown sick of playing in the corporate Ziegfeld Follies.

Admittedly we tend to be systems/software engineers and not graphics designers. Thank goodness. But I expect you'll be like us in another 10 years. At least, those who can survive as business people, too.

Good luck. ;)

as a graphic design major, i know ALOT of college age freelancers... and even if we can get academic prices, we arent allowed to use educational versions of software for business uses anyways according to EULA.

----

and with that.. you guys need to calm down, i know im not a mod in this forum, but please guys play nice ;)

Ah, see, this must be a generation and/or profession 'gap' kind of thing.

They just called us 'students' or perhaps 'interns*' back in the Mesozoic Era. :D

* this was obviously way before Dell gave the term a bad name...

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Does anyone else wonder where Apple is going with Brushed Metal?

I don't mind brushed metal so much, I just wish that it would be used consistently, both throughout the system (since having two GUI styles in the same OS just doesn't seem quite right), and between different apps...

Safari has no window borders, like Aqua. iChat has thin, Platinum-esque window borders. iCal has big fat window borders.

I think I prefer iChat's border style.

I think the question whether Aqua or Platinum are better are not that easily answered... Aqua hasn't only added 'weight' to the UI, it has also added features. They started 'somewhere else' when doing it.

I think both UIs have their pros and cons, and the best thing for Apple to do would be to - at one point - take their (and our) experiences with both and create one new theme (to rule them all, couldn't resist...).

phatacus bring up some interesting points about aqua v. brushed, and consistency.

All the brushed apps have Window borders, allowing for resizing from any of the lower 3 quadrants - except Safari...

All Brushed apps allow you to grab the top area or a window border and drag the entire interface. Aqua doesn't allow you to drag a window unless you grab it's top bar.

If Apple is going to continue with using Brushed and Aqua in the same OS in different apps, it would be nice if at least they acted the same way, preferrably the brushed style where you can drag from any window chrome.

Who knows...at WWDC we might see a whole new evolution of both themes in to something new...

Originally posted by fryke
Aqua hasn't only added 'weight' to the UI, it has also added features.

suddenly I think...
Do we need those added features? :confused:
or they are just adding weight?
I dont believe just adding buttons or commands Aqua will be more easy to use...
I love simplicity...

Personally, I enjoy using Aqua because I like eye candy, but I really don't mind using Platinum. Considering only my iMac has X and most of the stuff on it runs better in 9 anyway (plus the hole in my Classic environment), I rarely boot into X anymore. However, I still enjoy all the gadgets, widgets, and the power and scalability of the new OS. I do think the Dock has some good uses, but it needs serious improvements before it becomes fully mature, like a way to determine what application is currently active.

I believe Apple should add something to their X installer: an option to install a basic GUI or a more powerful, resource-consuming one. My little iMac feels like The Little Engine That Could trying to pull an 80-car freight train through the Rockies; we should give it a little caboose instead, and give those freight cars to a big engine that can handle them, in other words make a version of X that works quickly and efficiently on systems with less than X Mhz, Y MB RAM and Z MB video memory, and splurge on extras for the big guns.

What Apple should really do is open up a forum for their Loyal Devoted Power Users, etc. to submit ideas for a new look (much like Renderosity is doing right now) and let people vote on what they like best. If we the people vote for the faux wood panels and gold trim, then that's what the new UI (no longer to be called Aqua after that, for obvious reasons) will look like. If we vote for the science-project-gone-awry with roaches and critters in every corner, widget and desktop, so be it. Apple should do what Microsoft never will: allow its reason for existence to have a hand in its evolution.

Back