Playlist < 80 min won't burn on 80 min media?

dave17lax

Inventor of the Egg Wave
I recently ripped a CD to iTunes and am now trying to make a copy of it. When I go to burn it, iTunes tells me that the list is too long and that I should split it onto multiple CD's. How is this possible when I got it from only one CD to begin with? MP3 tags and bit rate shouldn't matter because only the audio gets exported back into AIFF, right?

I even tallied the total track time, and it's 77:20. I am using 80 min media.

That's quite right. Just asking, though: Does it burn when you make it 77:00 or 76:40 by replacing one song with a shorter one? Could be that iTunes is creating some overhead when making a CD...

Yes, I removed a track that was only 1:37 and it did not present the error message to me. Sad because this CD is not one that can just be broken up, each track needs to be there.

New Question.... what's a good alternative to iTunes that can burn and is free?

how long epmty space do you have between the tracks? 1 second? 2,3,4,5 seconds?

i use 1 or none, and the playlists that are e.g. 79:17 long manage to get just fine to a cd. just burned 3 to audio cds last weekend, and all were 79 minutes and some seconds long. and all sound like they should.

Set to one second. I tried no gap earlier, didn't work. I am now manually stripping the tags out and converting to aiff even though this shouldn't matter. We'll see what happens from there.

iTunes assumes you're using the standard, 650MB/72-minute media, since 700MB/80-minute media is just a sort of jerry-rigged extension of 72-minute media. I'd be willing to bet iTunes wouldn't complain at all if you compacted that playlist down to 72 minutes, allowing for the gap time between the tracks as well.

Just an annoying inconvenience.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
iTunes assumes you're using the standard, 650MB/72-minute media, since 700MB/80-minute media is just a sort of jerry-rigged extension of 72-minute media. I'd be willing to bet iTunes wouldn't complain at all if you compacted that playlist down to 72 minutes, allowing for the gap time between the tracks as well.

Just an annoying inconvenience.

Unfortunately this isn't it. This CD is part 2 of a 3 CD compilation. The first CD is short, but the last two are long. The 3rd CD comes in at 74:57, and burns without trouble. That's only a 2 min, 23 sec difference from the problem disc (which is 77:20). And if I remove even one song, the shortest (1 min 37 sec) then it will burn it.
You are right that I just need to either dump tracks or put it on multiple discs, but it's more than just annoying since I ripped the exact same tracks off of the real CD.
Plus, I can't find any 3rd party burning software that does audio cd's, other than toast, so I can't even tinker with it to make it work. My final course of action may be to install OS 9 and find my old copy of soundjam, convert the songs out of aac, and try it on that. But of course soundjam would also probably think it was dealing with a 72min cap...

defeat :(

Hmmm... do you have Toast? If so, you can make a disk image of the Audio CD by selecting "Save as Disc Image" from the File menu and then try to burn that disk image onto a CD-R through the Copy tab (select Image File in the sidebar)...

I know of people who have reported that you can't make a disk image of an audio CD, but I did it just fine... pop in any audio CD, save as disk image, burn, works perfectly.

If iTunes assumes you are using the 650 mb cds, why did my over 79 minutes cds burn normally with it? :-/

Look for Firestarter FX on www.macupdate.com... there are those who would tell you it does wonderful things. ;) See if it will let you just straight copy the original CD.

BTW, just out of curiosity, what CD is it?

iTunes doesn't ASSUME anything. It looks to see what size/lenth media you have. I have this problem also, but that's due to an unsupported drive (its only partially supported up to 10.2.8, with a hacked SonyCDR.deviceinfo file (or whatever its called). If you have the original cd, try copying it with disk utility, or try something like missing media burner to burn from mp3/aac

It could also be that the CD-Rs are (intentionally) mislabelled and don't in fact hold 80min.

The CD is from a compilation of bootleg recordings released by my favorite band. You can't buy it in stores, I think it was a run of 12 copies or something like that. I was lucky enough to get my paws on one from my friend, who got it from a band member. Probably not a band anyone here has heard of, The Gourds. Real Texas band. Anyway...
I'll try to use a backup copy method to get it done on one disc. If not, too bad, so sad.

Here is their cover of Gin and Juice.

Back