Please don't laugh to loudly.

docq

Registered
Being a Newby crossing over from Windows to Mac (best move I ever made) is great, except for the basic questions that arise.
Can you tell me how to properly uninstall a softare package from my imac. IMAC is running Tiger
I am use to uninstalling then going and searching out any DLL and then cleaning the registery out manually. So is there a corrct way to remove software when it is no longer needed or expired?

Usually you can just drag and drop the applications to the trash. Some programs (MS Office, to name one), come with an uninstaller. You may also want to delete the preference file, located in your library, but these are not likely to cause problems, and take up little disk space.

Thank you, for the reply. Every day gives me more reason to ask myself why I had not purchased a Mac long ago.

Just a bit of advice: this "HOWTO & FAQS" sub-forum is for posting tips and tricks, not for asking how to do something ;)

Docq, switching was a smart decision. Just switched recently myself, loving it! This forum is a good place for info, also, remember google is your friend.

Applications usually install in places like these:

1) In the Applications folder
2) In /Your Hard Drive/Users/Your User Name/Library/Application Support
3) In /Your Hard Drive/Users/Your User Name/Library/Preferences

Also most larger application have installers included with the Zip/Disk Image original installer files. These are usually pretty good.

Now if you want a crutch application to get rid of stuff for you then AppZapper is what you are looking for.

Back