Please Give Me Your Diagnosis

Jackrushing

Registered
I have a 2004 PowerMac G5, Running Tiger. The computer will not start up,
and I get a blinking light on the Apple Display. There is one blink about every
three seconds. I have tried to reset the Pram, tried starting by holding the
C Key, etc. What do you think the problem might be? Thank You.

Does the power LED on the front panel come on, and stay on?
Do the fans start running?
Do you hear a boot chime sound?

I disagree with SGilbert, as the PRAM battery really doesn't affect startup on the PowerMac G5. DO try pressing the reset button, which is inside the side door, underneath the bottom RAM memory slots. Unplug your power cord before you do this, and wait for 10 seconds or so, before plugging the cord back in, and pressing the power button.
Wouldn't hurt to try reseating the video card in its slot, while you have that side door open, and your power cord is unplugged.

SGilbert and DeltaMac, Thank You. I put a new battery in, and still no luck. No, the light
on the front of the computer does not stay on. It only flashes one time every 3 or four
seconds, the same time as the display flashes. And no, there is no start up chime. This
computer has never chimed, even when new. Two of the fans are running, and if I lift
the air shield out of the notches, several speed up. Think it might be the Power Supply?

If you are getting one single flash on the power light on the front of the Mac, and that repeats every second or two, that means that your memory is not being detected. Try reseating the memory in the slots. Make sure that the memory is installed in pairs of slots. Pairs are those slots from the middle out.
example - a pair of slots is slot 2 and slot 3, if yours has only 4 slots. If you have a PowerMac G5 with 8 memory slots, one pair is slot 4, and slot 5.
The other pairs of slots read from those slots out.

If you have a bad power supply, usually the power light may come on briefly, then goes out (and stays out).

Thanks DeltaMac,
I had three pairs of memory sticks installed. I pulled them out one pair at a
time, and tried starting up. I got down to the last pair, and it did the trick.
So, one stick or more in the remaining four must be bad. I will make do for now with one pair, that gives me one gig to play with.
Your diagnosis was correct.!!!! Take Care, Jack

Back