Please help before hd gets formatted!

digital919

4down Productions
I own a dual 533 with 1.5 Gb of RAM... this comp is running soo fucking slow...lagging on everything...i'm at the point where i have backed up as much as possible and am ready to cut my losses to have my faster machine back.... if anyone has any tips or knows of the best way of going about this formatting and reinstalling they would be very helpful

Thanks in advance,

DiGiTAL

How long has it been since you defraged/optimised your disk?

If you have norton or something available you should try optimising you disk first.

My comp has become extremely unstable.. i would like a fresh start with everything.. i'm a film student and i am in the process of setting up my machince for editing....and i need some stablility... i don't know about any optimizing programs....havn't tried them... but i am at the point where i am ready to format the entire drive and reinstall my os's.... like a brand new computer...

...just back up whatever you want to and reinstall. Apple's installer program for OS X includes an "Erase Target" option; just check it and your disk will be completely defragmented as the OS is installed.

Will this really give me the fresh start feeling that i am looking for?? how does this method compare to erasing the disk completely?

I am choosing some direction tonite...

That IS erasing the disk and completely re-installing. If you wanna be EXTRA sure, boot from an OS 9 disk, launch "Drive Setup," and erase/format your disk from there.

Then boot from the OS X disk and install. Yes, this will give you the "fresh" brand-new look and feel you're looking for, however, be warned: OS X tends to get slower over time as you load more and more things into it. That's just the nature of it, as far as I know. It isn't actually getting any slower -- it's just that you'll have more processes running at once, and the GUI portion of the system will feel less responsive, giving the illusion that the whole computer is slower, which is not true.

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
OS X tends to get slower over time as you load more and more things into it. That's just the nature of it, as far as I know.

That has never been the case for me, and I have a lot of stuff running. Most processes will go into sleep and consume very little CPU%. I would run top in terminal and see what the cpu idle % is.

Back