Please help, Can someone tell me how to delete my hard drive?

mickeyboicky

Registered
Can someone please tell me how to delete my hard drive, when I turn my laptop on it flashes the Startup icon, so I cant access my desktop. Please help.

Sometimes it takes more than 8 minutes for someone to even noticed you have posted -- it's not like there's someone sitting here 24/7 waiting to hop on a newly created thread and answer... patience!

To erase (I'm assuming you mean "erase," not "delete") your hard drive, boot from the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD, then select "Disk Utility" from the "Installer" or "Utilities" menu. Select your hard drive on the list at the left, then click "Erase."

I'm not an expert, but I've reinstalled a few times.

It sounds like you are saying that the computer "hangs" and doesn't complete it's startup process. If this is the case, you'll want to start the computer from the original installation CD (or an upgrade, if you're going to do that while you're at it) and reinstall the operating system. You can set the "Options" to erase the previous installation (and all your data with it) or to install a new copy and archive the previous installation (keeps your data).

Put CD in drive & close it.

Holding down the "C" key, power on the laptop.

Wait for the Installer to start up and follow the instructions. Be sure to check the Options (a button at the bottom of the Installer window).

Hope that helps

If you were even able to erase it without the CDs, how would you use the computer since you wouldn't have an operating system installed? You're going to need to purchase an operating system for whatever computer it is that you have (since you didn't specify which computer).

Actually, a license for Mac OS X came with the computer. The previous owner _has_ to have the original installation disk that came with it. You should also be able to claim one (or a copy) at your local Apple dealer.

Back