Please help VPC

THEMACER

Registered
I installed vpc but i dont rember how much hard drive space i assigned to it. Now after installing a few programs it says im low on memory how do ass more now?

Are you using OS9 or OSX? How much memory is installed in your computer?

If you're using OS9...
Make sure VPC is not running. Find the icon of the VPC application. Select it. Presss the command (apple) key and the letter "i" to get its info. Look for the memory allotment spaces. Raise the value next to "preferred size", depending how much ram you can afford to allot it. Open VPC again.

If you're using OSX...
There's no need for you to adjust the memory allotted to the application. I'd install more memory sticks in the mac...

Im using os x and i mean hard drive space. Im running vpc with win xp and im runnin low 4 some reason. I have a 60 gb hd and about 50 gb left so i dont get it? what can i do to add more space to vpc. I have 1.2gb ram

Are you talking about the physical Mac drive or the VPC disk image?
What does the properties on the C drive tell you?
Did you initialize the disk image as fixed or expanding?

Im talking about the drive image. The c drive says 326mb avialable and i installed win xp from a win xp cd so i either dont know or rember. Please help guys. Tried the settings but nothing.

From the Finder do a Get Info on the C drive disk image. Windows is using a file on your hard disk as its virtual hard disk. You can find out where it is from the VPC settings dialog. The file size is the approximate Window's hard drive size.

Now, how was the disk image created? The Windows installer has nothing to do with this. Part of a new virtual machine setup is to create a virtual hard disk (disk image).

Virtual drives can be created fixed (does not grow in size) or growable (changes size as needed). VPC comes with a disk utility to modify the properties of a hard disk. I do not know if you can change something to growable, BUT you should be able to discover its properties.

328 MB sounds like enough breathing room, but this is Windows :)

Tell me what you find out?

sounds like not very much drive space available. Unless there is a way to increase the drive file space (Dynamic drive size through the setup wizard SHOULD do this), you will probably have to re-setup with a new drive file, using the wizard to get a dynamic drive size. I've heard that fixed drive size gives you 15 GB space, which should be way enough! Then you'll have to re-load WinXP. Check how much free space in HD properties when you're done. LOL :) edit: Jove, sorry I stepped on you, you've got a much more useful answer than I *

Well when i went into disk wizard it came up that the drive was not formated my vpc it cant be expanded but i can convert to drive to a dynamically-expanding drive. Then i did that and when i started vpc again it still says im low on hd space. What does dynamically expanding drive mean. The reason i have very low hd space is i think because i installed win xp on top of pc dos 2000 so pc dos 2000 i think is set to something like 4 gb or so. I didnt make a new drive for vpc thats y when i turn it on it askes to boot into dos or xp.

Not to be critical but please check spelling and grammar. I had some trouble understanding your last post.

Inside of Windows there are garbage collection routines. Not certain where to go, but you can tell Windows to delete temp and cache files. That may help.

How was the drive formatted NTFS, FAT32, etc? There are drive size limits depending on the format.

The reason I asked for you to check the C drive properties and Finder Get info, is to see if the Mac filesystem and the Windows filesystem think the virtual drive size is different.

When i installed vpc it begins with 1 pc image which is dos. I inserted the win xp cd while under dos, pressed boot from cd and installed it under dos. So now i realized that the dos image comes with like 5gb only. So what can i do now to expand or duplicate that image onto another drive image.

Back