portable instalations?

WACOMalt

Registered
Hello, I first used a mac (OSX) today. I love it to death! anyways, I want to know how I could do something.

When I used wndows at home and my school, the school had restrictions that didnt allow you to install anything. I got around that by installing it at home on my flash drive.

now, since I am still running windows at home, but the school now uses OSX, is there any way from my home PC I could install a "DMG" instalation on my flashdrive, using windows?

I know its an odd circumstance, but I would like to know. I found an OSX N64 emulator that I would like to use. (Mupen 64)

Thanks in advance!

a *dmg is a kind of disk drive in software.

You should be able to just copy it to the flashdrive on your Windows machine
Then just insert the flashdrive in the Mac and double-click on the *dmg.
That should open the *dmg and mount it as a separate drive.

You'll be able to run programs directly from the *dmg but not be able to save anything to it.

When you have finished, just drag the mounted icon to the Trash.

BjarneDM said:
You should be able to just copy it to the flashdrive on your Windows machine
Then just insert the flashdrive in the Mac and double-click on the *dmg.
That should open the *dmg and mount it as a separate drive.

that would work, but we can't open dmg files on the mac's the aqdministrators see those as all being install images, so they blocked them. I just need to get all the files from the dmg image and put them standalon on the flash drive.

thanks fo ryour help though

Nero Burning ROM can convert and burn .DMG files to bin/cue and iso files. If it can do this, perhaps there's a way to extract the files out of the DMG using Nero so you can just copy them to the flash drive.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Nero Burning ROM can convert and burn .DMG files to bin/cue and iso files. If it can do this, perhaps there's a way to extract the files out of the DMG using Nero so you can just copy them to the flash drive.

thank you very much. is there a free version of nero that does this?

if not, no problem. well, there is one problem, I dont htink this dmg file was actually a cd image file, its like.. not even 1mb big.. I guess I could convert it to a ISO and use daemon tools to mount it rather than waste a cd for less than a mb

WACOMalt said:
I dont htink this dmg file was actually a cd image file, its not even 1mb big.

Thats normal. The DMG is basically a way of packaging up files into a "virtual drive".

You say your admins at school won't let you run a DMG by double clicking it. Are you able to run Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities)? That will let you mount the DMG file. Or, are you able to open a Terminal (also in /Applications/Utilities)? You can use the terminal to mount DMG files though its a little trickier.

If the administrators block .dmg files, i highly doubt they'll allow you to run any applicaitons that haven't been installed via an administrator's password.

well, Im not at school yet, will be in a bit. But I think the disk utility runs, but I dont know if it will mount dmg fils. can you explain how to do it through the disk utility and the terminal?

theres also a lock on setting the DVD region code.. dont know why. but we cant play dvds until thats done

if anyone can help on that too

:)

could anyone here who has a mac open this for me, and send the files in the DMG to bensumner@nimagineca.com?

I cant get to the download site now to send a link, the download should be somewhere on this page.

if you could do that Ill be forever grateful ;)

It's a bit of a workaround, but in older versions of safari (works on 1.3.1 that I'm using now), if you tell it in the preferences to auto-open "safe" files--such as disk images--then as soon as you download a one it'll be automatically mounted, even though you ordinarily wouldn't be able to mount it yourself by double-clicking it. Work-wise, hosting the file might be a bit much considering what you're trying to do, but it's just another solution.

Of course, if you need an admin password to install your emulator, you're out of luck even if you can mount the disk image.

Back