Portfolio site...

nummi, i have no problem with it being in flash, what version are you publishing it in?

i say, might as well use version 4, since what you are doin' is not very complex, and then you will assuredly have 90%+ of the audience.... take a close look at the survey's penetration by version number data.

According to Macromedia:
In December 2001, NPD Research, the parent company of MediaMetrix, conducted a study to determine what percentage of Web browsers have Macromedia Flash preinstalled. The results show that 98.3% of Web users can experience Macromedia Flash content without having to download and install a player.
Now, on one of my clients' sites, I have a redirector that guides people that don’t have Flash 3 or above to an HTML-only version. Since Jan 1, there have been 34,748 redirects to the flash version & 14,940 to the HTML. That adds up to 70% flash for me, but YMMV. My site is aimed at an older audience than is typical of the web, but I have no idea if that's why my numbers skew to less than 98% (nor do I care).

On the other hand, since you're targeting a specific audience (and not the general public) that is web oriented, they're going to have flash, or be completely anti-flash (happens, I guess).

As a concept for a portfolio I would suggest the possibility of separate sections that emphasize your talents in the various aspects of web design: pure html, client side scripting, server side scripting, Flash, etc. It is important to show both a creative and a practical side.

OK... I will just try to find a script that will re-dirent them to a non-flash version of the site... know where i can get one?

CV stands for Curriculum Vitae, its just another way of saying resumé. you can get a detect plugin here.

if you're pretty up with Flash, you make a complete flash site, thats definately a way to show off your talent and creativity.

Yeah... as soon as I get LiveMotion 2.0... expect a site made with nothing but flash. Macromedia Flash is a pain in the ass... but that is another story. eh?

Nummi,

Man, great job on the site... we really should get together and start our own design firm... know anyone with a Million in investment money to play around with?

No, me either... couple of things about your site. I'll try not to mention anything that has already been mentioned.

Indent the links on the secondary page... "Aftermath, Nummi Portfolios...etc"

Also, remove this from your resume...

From Hardware
UMAX Scanner
BUSLink CD Burner

* We don't need to know you can scan, and burn... these things should be basic. by putting them in your resume, it makes it seems as though you're putting in everything you know... a resume is only ment to highlight your skills, not list them all.

Software

Roxio Toast
Fetch
Aladdin StuffIt
Netscape
Internet Explorer
OmniWeb
Opera

* Again I'd like to see these removed as well. Saying you know how to use a browser makes it seem like you're trying to list every program on your computer, and you shouldn't do that.

I'd be happy to help more with your resume and site, feel free to email me. I'm going through the same thing right now. I've started a job search in the Madison, WI area.

Originally posted by evildan
-Man, great job on the site... we really should get together and start our own design firm.

--Indent the links on the secondary page... "Aftermath, Nummi Portfolios...etc"

- LETS DO IT! :)

-- indent... you must be using windows, or NN. The links are indented in IE. But I fixed that problem. I updated the site a little bit... and I will remove some of those things like the scanner and browsers.. you are right, that was just plain stupid for putting those things on there.

Nummi,

My portfoio is not ready for viewing. I have been writing resumes all week.

I'm still on the look out for a job, so I'll have to get back to the portfolio soon.

I was thinking of doing it all in Flash.

Last night on my drive home, I thought of a great idea. I was going to design a computer from scratch. and have that as the focal point of my portfoio.

So if I wanted to demonstrate my ability to design websites, I could do a website for this made up computer.

I could also design other movies illustrating the computer's features and os etc.

this would be a made-up computer, of course. But I would want it to be realistic in all aspects... room for a hard drive, memory, processor, etc.

I thought it would be a good idea for the design crowd. We could meet and discuss various box designs etc...

what do you think?

Do this:

Quad 3.3 GHz G5 with 4.5 GB of DDR SDRam with an NVidea GForce 4 Ti. 10/100/1000 Ethernet connected directly to a fiber optic backbone pipe. Running OS X 10.3, of course.

Is any one interested in designing some conceptual computer boxes?

I'd like to have a quad-processor mother-board design, so cases will have to account for that.

Right now, I don't want to see any interior designs, let's focus on the box itself.

What would your dream computer look like? Keeping in mind, this thing has to be realistic and practical.

I am going to work on some shape concepts after I post this. I'll share those ideas with the group.

Maybe I'll start another thread for this idea, if anyone is interested.

I think the site is almost finished. I updated it a couple of days ago. I cannot remember who said I should center the site. but i did it... then I remembered why I did not do it in the first place. The site just fits on an 800X600, but nothing smaller. So if I center the site... it will not fit.

Back