Portfolio site...

Nummi_G4

New Rhapsody User
My girlfriend's mom is trying to get me a job in web design... so I thought making a portfolio would be a good idea. can you guys tell me what you think of it? What it needs? what should go?

(it has not been tested in OS X browsers yet)
(works better in IE than NN 4.7)

http://home.datacomm.ch/aftermath/nummi/

wow... great site! i love the design. you have very good talent...

i have my own portfolio site (for my own company that me and my dad started that I will be calling Bling Media, Inc.) but I haven't launched the site just yet but will sometime in the near future!

I'm really impressed. Great typography.
Just a couple things I'd change:

-The notches in the corners of the images feel a bit ambiguous. I'd make them a bit bigger.

-Play around with the size and weight of ">>Enter" on the front page. Seems a bit large and a bit light to me.

-It's strange that when you enter the site there's nothing there except the header and footer. Maybe you can open to a description of your design philosophy or something. If you're like me you hate doing stuff like that, but I think clients really like it. Maybe just a collage of your work.

-I'd like to see links to the websites

-The copyright in the footer has a shadow but nothing else on the site does. Seems a little strange.

Really well done though. You should have no trouble getting work.:)

Works fine in IE on OSX.

The second page does nothing in Mozilla 0.9.9 builds (except play music). There is a big grey area that's blank.

Don't design a page for Internet Explorer. Design a page for the Internet. Read up on html standards, try searching google for some tips. It'll make you look better. As a Mac user, you should understand the value of following standards ;)

Originally posted by dricci
Don't design a page for Internet Explorer. Design a page for the Internet. Read up on html standards, try searching google for some tips. It'll make you look better. As a Mac user, you should understand the value of following standards ;)

IE is my favorite browser. The site looks great in IE, ok in N 4.7 // shit in windows IE. html standards? I used tables and frames. how much more standard do you want me to get?

look at blings screenshot... in the web design frame with Aftermath Nummi ports, ect... that little blue triangle in the top right... look at the site in IE 5+ mac... and the text is stuck to the left side... I will fix all of these probs soon.

i like it, a few points i would pick up on though-

there are no apparent links to the sites you have designed

the on/off it too much of a distraction, and it doesn't need to be flash, its gonna look really weird if the viewwer doesnt have the plugin and wonders what that tiny little flash file is. you could do it in javascript or even a pulsating gif.

the copy makes you sound like a novice with skill, i appreciate this may not be a neccessary point, but if you want clients, you need to sound competant and experienced. its a bullshit point but think of yourself as a company, not a person, so sell your company, nummi.design, and not jerry nummi.

the email link need to be more obvious and should link to a form, not a mailto: you have to remember some people you are selling to probably have little knowledge of the net, and or PC's, and apps starting up are either too much to wait for, or too confusing to the uninitiated.

can you center up the frame, it looks bad in that corner, maybe have a second bgcolor just to fill it out.

maybe make the contacts etc as rollovers, just to let people know their hitting something.

ultimately, your a graphic designer with web skill, trying to sell a product, use your abilties to sell it, dont lay it out like an online CV, make the resume part more interactive, dont list your objectives it makes you sound like a school leaver, and dont list your apps, who cares? only the initiated, and their not your target.

if i were trying to sell myself as a web designer, i would build a site that was as interactive an intuitive as possible, with putting bells on it, which you have done, almost. its brutal i know but you need to open up your creativity and forget about standard resumes.

sorry its so brutal but i think it has a lot of potential, and a resume shouldn't ever go out 'til the 5th draft.

flame on.....

brodie has a lot of good points. i found your resume to be loaded a lot of unnecessary stuff as well.

however, i'm sure the audio is contained in the flash file... why not have the controller be flash? no problem here with that, besides it's rather twitchy behavior.

Originally posted by Nummi_G4
IS there anything missing? Anything that I should take out?

1. is the photgraphy yours? (i admit i did not read all the posts here)

if yes --> good job if no --> have you paid the license?

2. i'd start with the sound off and give people the option to turn it on

(i hate sites with sound, mostly because i listen to music on my computer and then i get this extra bumpa bumpa that i never asked for)

3. whne you present the final product don't include empty categories or things, "coming soon" -- i wouldn't hire you, after all your incomplete site makes me think you have incomplete skills.

4. nice design... completely useless. i love the gmunk type design but i canot begin to use it siply because i like simple to the point things that have absolutely no visual embelishment. -- this would make you wonder why the F*** i went to art shool then! in other words apple's site is the most beautifull thing in the world.

5. overall i like it, i'd give it a 7.5 out of 10. keep up the good work. you can only get better; if you unlearn some things (but this might be just based on my bias... well obviously!)

Originally posted by brodie
i like it, a few points i would pick up on though-

there are no apparent links to the sites you have designed

the on/off it too much of a distraction, and it doesn't need to be flash, its gonna look really weird if the viewwer doesnt have the plugin and wonders what that tiny little flash file is. you could do it in javascript or even a pulsating gif.

the copy makes you sound like a novice with skill, i appreciate this may not be a neccessary point, but if you want clients, you need to sound competant and experienced. its a bullshit point but think of yourself as a company, not a person, so sell your company, nummi.design, and not jerry nummi.

the email link need to be more obvious and should link to a form, not a mailto: you have to remember some people you are selling to probably have little knowledge of the net, and or PC's, and apps starting up are either too much to wait for, or too confusing to the uninitiated.

can you center up the frame, it looks bad in that corner, maybe have a second bgcolor just to fill it out.

maybe make the contacts etc as rollovers, just to let people know their hitting something.

ultimately, your a graphic designer with web skill, trying to sell a product, use your abilties to sell it, dont lay it out like an online CV, make the resume part more interactive, dont list your objectives it makes you sound like a school leaver, and dont list your apps, who cares? only the initiated, and their not your target.

if i were trying to sell myself as a web designer, i would build a site that was as interactive an intuitive as possible, with putting bells on it, which you have done, almost. its brutal i know but you need to open up your creativity and forget about standard resumes.

sorry its so brutal but i think it has a lot of potential, and a resume shouldn't ever go out 'til the 5th draft.

flame on.....

word my man , exept i still like simple sites better.

i'd probably do good designing ibm's site ;) as it looks now it's shit (ibm's site that is)

"the on/off it too much of a distraction, and it doesn't need to be flash, its gonna look really weird if the viewwer doesnt have the plugin and wonders what that tiny little flash file is. you could do it in javascript or even a pulsating gif."

the music is Flash... how would I use javascript? I think 98% of users have flash... i am going to keep it. A pulsating gif? I think that would be even more distracting. Eh ?

The copy is crap... I know. I just needed to put something in there for now.

"dont lay it out like an online CV"

What does that mean?

How can I make my resume more "interactive" ?

oK, its seems i have offended you, i didn't mean to, i appreciate tha this is your hard work, im just trying to offer constructive criticism.

you could embed the music or stream it, you could then use the image, say it was a pulsating gif, by that i mean a throbbing image rather than a flickering one, as an onclick to turn the music off and on. if you want a javascript go to dynamicdrive.com, im sure they'll have something for you.

i do explain what i mean by "dont lay it out like an online CV", its an example of your skill, which contains information about you, not the standard word CV template put online, and i mean that in the nicest way, so please dont feel im having a shot at you.

also, i dont think 98% of internet users have flash, so you do have to cater for them, and something so small is not going to be worth the DL.

i do like the site, but you asked what it needs and what should go.

:)

Originally posted by brodie
oK, its seems i have offended you

also, i dont think 98% of internet users have flash, so you do have to cater for them, and something so small is not going to be worth the DL.

"oK, its seems i have offended you"

NO NO NO... you did not. I want you to beat the hell out of me. I hate the site anyway. I hate all of my work... never happy with it. *sniff *sniff. anyway...

What is "CV"?

98%. That is what macromedia says. (yeah i know... they would just say that for business reasons.) I just wanted to add some audio because the site seemed a little boring.

If someone does not have flash... they are missing out on a lot of kick ass, sweet, bitchen content on the internet.

Back