porting .net applications

TunesRus90

Registered
I just modded my xbox and am trying to mod the halo game. There are a few programs that aid in this process, but the programs made with the .NET 1.1 framework for windows, and I really want to port to mac os x. However, I have never coded or ported a program before. I know I would have to get permission and the source from the creators of these programs.I was just wondering how I would go about porting these? Also if you think that I am in way over my head due to inexperience then tell me as I really have no idea how any of this kinda stuff works, but I am willing to learn if someone would teach me. I have a windows pc too if that helps. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here are links to the two programs that I want to port.
dotHalo
and
Insolence (the top program)

If you've never programmed before in your life, you're in WAY over your head. Learning to program isn't going to happen overnight, and porting an application isn't a trivial task that can be done in a short period of time by a novice.

Best bet is to look for another solution. :(

HateEternal said:
The closest you can get on OS X is mono http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page
I haven't really used it so I don't know if it has the same API as .NET.

It's not very good, especially on OS X. Many of the necessary libraries, especialy WinForms which is what the .NET GUI uses isn't complete and as such you will have a hard time porting.

An easier method would be to rewrite the stuff in a different language (like Java) that runs on OS X.

Back