Possible Apple Games Machine??

doug

Registered
Ive spoken to a friend of mine, (who works in the games indstry, working on X-Box titles) and there are strong rumours of an Apple games console, (similar to the xBox) being readied by Apple.

HMMM, wonder if ths means we get decent games soon huh?

Havea good day y'all

Doug

It wouldn't surprise me a bit. I think it'd be more than a games machine though (think "Digital Hub") and have email & web access, be able to store & edit digital photos (and possibly video), rip cds, etc.

With everything MS is throwing/can throw behind Xbox I dont know that a 'mere' games machine from Apple would be too successful.

Nintendo is opening up its gaming platform to other hardware manufacturers. As a matter of fact Matsushita is going to make a verison of the Game Cube that has DVD and more settop box like features.

As you may or may not know, the Nintendo GameCube is using an IBM 400 mhz G4 PowerPC 'gekko' processor and an ATI graphics chip which ATI bought from another company.

Sound familiar? Sounds like a mini-mac doesn't it. The only difference is that this G4 does not have an Altivec "velocity" unit.

This would be an easy thing for Apple to do in making a hybrid MacOS/Nintendo web gamestation... although... iCube--Gamecube? hrm... :)

The likliness is very slim though. Apple may be good at keeping such projects hush hush, but Nintendo has shown no sign in working with Apple on any product and Apple tried it years ago with Pippe and failed. The GameCube is more powerful than a dreamcast but comes no where close in power as the Xbox and Playstation 2 are supposed to be.

I honestly think Apple SHOULD do this. They are opening all those stores, they could totally boost Nintendo by becoming a Nintendo reseller. Have you seen the size of those stores? What in the world are the going to fill them with? Even Gateway countries weren't as large as the space on Michigan Ave where the Chicago store will be. This would be great BECAUSE Apple would have 1 more reason for kids and parents to stop into an Apple store...

Any opinions?

Competition is getting really fierce in the gaming market and "newcomers" would not fare that well. Sony & nintendo the 2 biggest companies now are in the lead, sega killed its hardware manufacturing for consoles anyway, atari went the way of the dinosaur, and other companies are now exinct. Newcomers wont have an easy time swaying customers to their camp.

Admiral

Hey, yall. Remember when apple had the pippen out? And, when they had the Newton? And that newton-laptop-like thing? Oh, and apple was running out of money and almost folded?

I wish they would just outright say "We are apple computer, inc, and we make high-end computers for 3d graphics, cinamatography, and graphical editing. We don't make arcade computers, digital notebooks, or things for college students to waste their money on."

I worrie about products like the g4 cube. I mean, whats the point of the cube? Anyone who buys a cube (well, almost anyone) wouldn't mind just buying a g4 power mac.
And what about the iBook/power book thing? Why not just make one model, with alot of options?

I think all this variety will cost apple. Sure, these things are cool. But its like playing with fire. If apple makes a video gaming system, email and web access, too, people will just be more confused.

I've got more to say on this, but my lunch break is almost over.

If YOU are confused NOW...then be thankfull that you did not know or deal with apple before jobs took over!

This is NOTHING. The concept is simple

powerbook --> high end
iBook --> "low end"
iMac --> low end
PowerMac --> high end.

Simple, anyone can keep track of it, why are you complaining.

As for newton, IT WAS THE BEST THING, and still is! I own one! Its better than the newer PDAs and it is 5 years old! The "laptop" version was called the eMate and you can still find em (along with the newtons) on ebay! I wish I had one. Pippin was a bad idea granted but all computers that came out of apple have been great. THere is NOT RULE that says that a graphics station cant be a word processor, or a games machine or what have you. A computer is a tool that you can use for any purspose you want!

Hell you can even make a bomb out of it if you want!

Admiral

bomb...

Which is what the airport security guards must have been thinking of. On the ScreenSavers show on TechTV they mentioned that someone had been detained at the airport because the titanium in his Titanium PowerBook had set off alarms with the bomb-sniffing machine. LOL!

-Rob

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
Competition is getting really fierce in the gaming market and "newcomers" would not fare that well. Sony & nintendo the 2 biggest companies now are in the lead, sega killed its hardware manufacturing for consoles anyway, atari went the way of the dinosaur, and other companies are now exinct. Newcomers wont have an easy time swaying customers to their camp.

I think you have a very valid point. I am not sure if I see Apple as competing.

Right, Apple would be dumb to go out and create a whole new gaming platform. That would just be ludicrous.

However if they could make a deal with Nintendo to make a version of their system that is more for settop boxes than for just gaming, that would not be competing alone. They could do so many things with one. They could add a mini MacOS, Quicktime playback into TV and Stereo digital systems, Video input ala 1394 (which they could edit on an iMac), an MP3 jukebox for the home stereo or audio system, web access, mac games PLUS nintendo games and DVD player.

We all know the Pippen failed. It was too soon. Settop boxes are in a questionable state I know this. With directv, TiVo, and others competing in the settop box war and companies like MS and AOL entering the market it could be for a rough playing field.

But the big fact of gaming consoles is that most companies do not make money from the consoles. Sega was almost losing money for each dreamcast they sold. It was the game titles that kept them afloat.

So enter the new age of hybrid game consoles. MS is doing it with Xbox. Nintendo can't afford to branch out in all sorts of directions and is using other mfgs to do this for them. Let them work on the hardware, sell tons and then make money on the games they sell. Apple would just happen to be another game console maker but a part of the whole Nintendo realm.

How does Apple benefit? What if their profit margin is next to nothing, how does this help them? Well it puts 1394 in the hands of MANY more people. It trumps MS and Real in the video streaming war by giving Quicktime a whole new level to play on (which MS will do with Xbox and Media Player) It gives them access to MANY more games for the Mac with special licensing deals from Nintendo. It also gives their OpenPlay API more systems to be compatible with. It also gives people one if not MANY more reason to come to an Apple retail store.

Its not about making money and expecting a cash cow from a new game console, its about winning the standards war. Thats what this is all about.

Speaking of bombs and all that great nucular stuff, I seemed to remember an interesting article when the G4's came out. Apparently they coulden't be shipped out of the country because of their power.
Does anyone know if this is still the case?

Also, as for the game system, why should apple even try to make a gaming system with all those features? To me it sounds like they would be downgrading thier systems. Instead If I was in control I would make three diffrent lines for three different people

1. A line of inexpensive easy to use computers for people who have no intension of playing all the 3d games and only want word processing, internet access, and mabey limited image editing.
2. A line of computers meant for gamers.
3. I line of high end computers in which speed and power is the issue not the price.

To me, it appears apple is doing ok with this idea (imac, cube, g4) however I still think they could do a little more. Have any comments?

It would be a REALLY bad idea not to sell computers to any other country, just the USA. LOL. G4s are sold outside the USA.

From my understanding, G4s are sold almost everywhere except the countries listed in the legal stuff bundled with your machine.

Funny, however, is that in my remote corner of the world (northern British Columbia, Canada) I can find dealers licensed to sell iMacs but not G4s. Go across town, and the same chain has a store licensed to sell G4s. Pretty funny considering none of them know enough about the platform to sell them.

Scott

the gamecube has a 400 Mhz and the play station 2 has a 201 mhz processor. whill dream cast has a three hundred mhz. cpu. gamecube sounds faster to me

I worrie about products like the g4 cube. I mean, whats the point of the cube? Anyone who buys a cube (well, almost anyone) wouldn't mind just buying a g4 power mac.

Well, I can't give you right in that. I ordered a Cube this friday (comes in tomorrow, can't wait!!!!). I thought about getting a "real" G4 in stead of the cube, but then I thinked to my self - hey, it takes a lot more space, it costs a little bit more (at least here in Denmark), and what is the real difference? The "real" G4 has more expanding-possibilities (wrong-spelled?), but I don't need that. AFAIK, there is a PCI-slot free in the cube, and that would be enough for me.

Besides, I also ordered a 17" flat-panel, the brand new from Apple. If this combo doesn't look good on a desktop, what does? :D

Originally posted by Spike_DK

AFAIK, there is a PCI-slot free in the cube, and that would be enough for me.

Besides, I also ordered a 17" flat-panel, the brand new from Apple. If this combo doesn't look good on a desktop, what does? :D

Re: PCI; not as far as I know, at least it the last year's model

Re: desktop looks; a Cube, SoundSticks/Sub, and the 22" flat-panel, of course :) And, maybe a 9110, for real work :)

Back