Possible to run 10.1 on new MDD G4

lombard

Registered
So I just got my new work computer the other day. Managed to get a brand new MDD G4 instead of a Win 2000 POS. It hasn't officially been hooked up for me yet, but I fired it up anyway. Would you believe the IT department wiped OS X off of it??!?! They actually expect me to run OS 9 on it. Anyway, I figured I'd just buy another license for 10.2 and throw it on, but I ran in to a problem. My company isn't supplying a VPN client that works with 10.2. Supposedly in a month or two they'll have a client that supports 10.2, but in the mean time the best I can hope for is to install 10.1 on the machine and use the existing VPN client.

I'm just not sure that 10.1 can even run on this machine?? I'm guessing that since the machine shipped with 10.2, 10.1 doesn't support it (new logic board, DDR, etc.) Alternatively, does anyone know of a way to get the newest Cisco client for their VPN 3000 system? I've heard ver. 3.6 supports 10.2

Any help out there?

You CAN install 10.1 on that machine.

Good luck trying to get OS 9 on there. The new MDD Macs don't boot up from the OS 9 install CD. Check Macfixit or XLR8YourMac to get instructions on how to follow the loopy, twisted path to getting OS 9 on there if you want.

Have you tried using the client in 10.2? you may find that it works. You may also find that it doesn't. You wont know until you try. I don't think the installer will even let you install 10.1 but it might be worth a try, you will know right away if you can't. Its all in the firmware, Apple will tell the firmware not to boot in10.1 so when you try to install the installer should check the frimware and see not to install 10.1 and give you an error. As far as the VPN client I found a link that will probably be useful. If you are a registered user with Cisco you can access the download page for 3.6 version.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk367/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e6d.shtml

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. OS 9 is already on there, so I'm not worried about that. The only 10.1 install disc I have is the one that came with my iBook, so I kind of doubt I'd be able to install it anyway. Maybe I'll just go ahead and throw 10.2 on it and hope for the best. I don't use our VPN all that often anyway. I could probably get by without it until I can get my hands on a legit copy of the client that supports 10.2. I'd like to download the client directly from Cisco, but I'm not a registered user and I don't know anyone who is. It's probably under the company's name.

Now for a legal question....since the machine shipped with 10.2, my company actually paid the licensing fees for it. I'm thinking there shouldn't be any problem with me just using my current install disc, so I shouldn't have to buy a new copy. God knows I certainly don't need to own two licenses myself. Does that sound right?

Back