Possible to run FTP server on iMac?

RonaldMacDonald

Registered
I have a windows 2003 server and an iMac. They are thouands of miles apart. Is there a way to automatically FTP files from the Windows server to the iMac? The file size would be about 50MB.

Sure, although I think it'd probably be better to use ssh or sftp.

I'm not a big FTP / file transfer expert since I don't use it regularly, but take a look at Transmit (commercial) and Cyberduck (free). Transmit is regarded as one of the best Mac apps out there. I'm sure it can be automated using program controls or Applescript / Automator. There's even an FTP server built into Finder, I believe, though I don't know if it's any good. Didn't used to be.

(**Edit: See, I don't use this stuff. Client / Server. But there's a huge amount of free and paid software out there, including ported Linux and Unix stuff. When someone says, "Is there ... software for the Mac?" I chuckle to myself.)

Last edited:
I have a windows 2003 server and an iMac. They are thouands of miles apart. Is there a way to automatically FTP files from the Windows server to the iMac? The file size would be about 50MB.
What is it that you want? Your title is about an FTP server. However, your post is about an FTP client. There are various and sundry excellent FTP clients available for the Mac. Some are free; others, fee-based.

ex2bot's post is about the various FTP clients available for the Mac. The Finder FTP server that he does not like is actually the Finder FTP client. The built-in FTP client is limited to downloading files from FTP servers. This client mounts FTP servers on the Desktop just like any other network volume. Interarchy also mounts FTP servers on the Desktop abeit with read/write (download/upload) access.

No, my post is NOT about FTP clients. I want to use my iMac as an FTP server. Then I want to FTP files from my windows server to my iMac.

Yes, I know ex2bot's post was about ftp clients and I was about to reply to him when your post came in.

Is there an FTP server software that can be installed on the Mac? I want to put the scripts to automatically upload files from my Win server to my iMac on the Win server.

Thanks

You Mac already has an FTP server installed. Simply visit the "Sharing" pane of the System Preferences, and enable the option for FTP sharing.

If your iMac is behind a router and/or firewall, then of course, you must open/forward the necessary ports (TCP 21) on your router or firewall to be able to access the iMac's FTP server from outside of your local network.

Back