PowerBook 12" - no dial tone error - modem bust?

elspif

Registered
I'm having trouble with my new powerbook 12", getting no dial tone errors.

I just got my dad a new powerbook 12". And tried to go online via the internal Modem. But no luck, somehow it's not getting a dial tone. when I try on my own powerbook 15" it's fine, goes online without any trouble.

I did some quick research and not much came up but that some others have had similar problems. just wondering if other 12" owners out there have had this issue.

I's the 40Gb - 256Mb - 867Mhz - Combo drive version. Looks very sweet btw. ;)

Cheers, and thanx for any input.
Spif

Did you remember inserting the phone line into the modem port? :D
(errm)
That should be a typical warranty thing. Since we don't have any details on the issue, I recommend just calling Apple Support. They're incredibly slow, but in case it's a hardware problem, you'll have your computer repaired in a few days :)

One other possibility, remember that a phone line can be plugged into the ethernet port by accident, and you'll get no dial tone. Double check the correct connect point on the PB (should have the little phone symbol) :) You say your own PB works OK, are you unplugging from the new PB and using the SAME phone line attached to your PB?

Yep. Even though I have dealt with persons who wouldn't realize the difference between a ethernet and modem connection I would never regard myself as one of those ;) but none the less a good point.

Yeah i spent about 3 hrs trying to get it online with a nudred different settings and using the EXACT same settings and the SAME phone line trying to connect but no luck.

maybe there are some kind of settings files I can delete?

cheers
spif

If you have call waiting. Check your voicemail and make sure your dialtone doesn't pulse when you pickup the phone. The pulsing can throw off the dialtone detector.

Alternatively go to control panels: network: modem and uncheck the check for dialtone box.

Back