PowerBook 15" - Hard drive gone bust. HELP!!!

andihopkins

Registered
Hey guys,
I've got a MacBook Pro and a PowerBook 15" Al 1.67ghz.
The hard drive in my PB has just gone bust, and I don't have the restore disks for OS X 10.5.
Seeing as my MacBook Pro has 10.5, would it be possible to move (via CCC or the like) the OS X from my MacBook Pro onto the new hard drive I've just replaced in my PowerBook? If so, how would I do this? Is it possible to boot from an external hard drive on a PowerBook?

By the way, just so you know, I have paid for both Mac OS X licenses.

Thanks for your help!

Andy

This more than likely won't work, since your PowerBook is PowerPC-based and your MacBook is Intel-based.

Where are the 10.5 install disks for the PowerBook located?

Don't have them either :(
Hmm... so seems I am in a bit of a bother.

Why is it that when you buy Mac OS X 10.5, there are not separate versions available for PPC or Intel? Or does it recognize what type of computer it is installing on, and only installs the files nessecary for that computer?

Thanks for your help

Ack... I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir, but a computer without the OS install disks is like a car without keys. They're detrimental for times when you "lock yourself out" and you won't get far without them.

Yes, the retail version of Mac OS X detects what architecture you're running and installs accordingly for the most part.

It's not out-of-the-question to try, though. The PowerBooks can boot via FireWire (although not via USB), so if you've got the means to try that, it may be worth a shot.

Yeh, I understand. The reason I don't have them is that I've just moved inter-state, and lost a few of my boxes on the way here.
Oh well, it's not too much to buy it again.
Thanks for your time.

Not a problem.

Before you go off buying the disks again, it may pay off to contact Apple directly. They've been known to replace original Mac OS X install disks that came with the computer in the event of a loss of them. While that won't net you 10.5 for your PowerBook (since it never shipped with 10.5), it may get you some free OS X restore disks in the interim.

Awesome, that's very helpful, thanks!
I'll send them an email and see what they say... that might just say me an extra 100 bucks!

Back