PowerBook 80GB Fujitsu Drive Owners...&Mac Experts... Please help

Fiesta:mac

Registered
Hello, i own an new 15'' powerbook (OS 10.3.8) with 80gb fujitsu HDD, smart and AMS enabled.

When the hard disk is functioning (file copying, downloading, installing, maintaining) it's perfeclty silent, as expected.

When the disk is idle (Text editng or just desktop shown, or paying w mouse inside folders), SUDDEN noises like CLICK and CLANCK occur from the Drive, like wake-up sounds.
These happen every one - two minutes of non use, sometimes more often (like 40 seconds) and also happen when clicking for example the application folder when already idle for some time.

Important
The sounds dont occur outside macOSX environment (i.e. Apple hardware checker) although the HD may idle for a lot of time!

I've tried changing Spindown setting and turn off hard disks settings, and still the same.
I've disabled AMS,and still the same.
The only case the noise stops, is when Temperature monitor is on, with hard disk real-time temperature checking (SMART)!!!

Also, i've run all HD maintenence test successfully (Drive 10 & Disk utility report no problems).

Please check powerbook users, your own laptop, in a silent room, if it develops such noise. Thanks.

Also worth mentioning is that the HD temperature is the highest on my system (114F) although the rest of the sensors (i.e. CPU) don't exceed 100F
!!!!!!

This is likely the temperature re-calibration that takes place when the hard drive has idle periods, and will make clicking/clanking noises periodically as the drive head repositions itself. There may be firmware updates released from the drive manufacturers (or through Apple) in the future to lessen the audible effects. As long as you experience no other symptoms, this is normal operation.
... disclaimer: Keep your important data backed up...

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE, or check at an Apple Store if you have further questions about this.

Back