Powerbook consistently freezes with restart message

epox

Registered
Hi there, I've had my powerbook for just about a year and a half, it is an Aluminium 15" G4. For some reason everytime I start it up it works fine for about 5 minutes then a grey error message comes up and the computer freezes. The message has the picture of the power symbol as the background, and it says that the computer needs to be restarted or shut down by holding the power button. It lists this message in a couple of languanges. If I turn it off and try to turn it back on I get a beeping noise and it sounds like the computer is starting up but the white standby light jst starts blinking, no picture. It starts up fine again after about 5 minutes only to freeze a mere couple of minutes later. I tried reinstalling Mac OSX but it even froze half way during the installation? I've got no idea what's going on?

Please help me out if you can, thanks so much

Kind Regards
Epox

May be that you hve some bad RAM installed. Did you recently install some new RAM? If so, take out the memory and leave only what you're computer originally came with (i.e. Apple installed RAM). See if that solves the probelm.

I'm having a similar problem with a Mini - the machine (which is running as a web server) shuts down sometime after I leave the office; the next morning, I get the same messge you are getting ("needs to be restarted by holding down the power button"). Behavior has appeared just after installing the 10.4.7 update - nothing else about the machine or its hardware has changed. Not real helpful whwen a server is running ...

How can this problem be solved? I tried reinstalling OSX but during the install it froze again now I can't even boot up, everytime I power on it just beeps a couple of times then the white standby light blinks 3 fast times and 1 long time and it keeps doing this. Nothing is displayed on the screen so i can't even boot from a cd to format.

Epox, it sounds as if your have possible logic board problem. If you have purchased the extended Apple Care warranty, you need to give them a call. Or have a certified technician look at your PB. If you have all ready checked to ensure no ram or airport card, etc are lose.

Ok so I tried i booting it up again for the hell of it and now the monitor actually turns on and displays the grey apple background you get when the OS is booting up, however it freezes at that point and nothing else happens, also,that grey screen "jumps" down a couple of pixels before it freezes? Any ideas? THanks for all the replies so far, much appreciated.

Hey just checkd my serial number and it seems i'm eligible for that logic board repair from apple :)

Back