PowerBook External Display

Robert Grant

Registered
Disk Utility is saying that the S.M.A.R.T status of my hard drive is failing .. I have backed up all of my work but what I would like to know is if there is a way to repair the hard disk in its current state ..

I would also like to know whether my external monitor or cpu can be affected when the hard disk dies .. It might be wise to just remove the hard disk .. Plz help ..

If the S.M.A.R.T. status of the disk is "failing," then your hard drive will die in the near future. There is no fix for this -- the drive has come to the end of it's life and is failing.

If it's relatively new, the manufacturer's warranty may still cover it -- however, if it's the original Apple-supplied hard drive, then you must contact Apple to get warranty service on it, as the manufacturer doesn't cover Apple-branded hard drives.

If it is out-of-warranty, you can replace the hard drive yourself, get a 3rd party/company to replace it for you, or pay Apple to fix it. Apple tends to be the costlier but easiest solution, 3rd parties can be unreliable but save you a buck, and doing it yourself is no simple task but cheap as hell.

A failing hard drive cannot affect your processor or your monitor -- just the data on the drive.

Back