Powerbook G3 Breaking

Tommo

Registered
I have an old Powerbook G3 which I have was trying to upgrade to OSX 10.2, however when I switch it on it chimes as normal and after a few seconds makes a noise like a cross between a hammer on metal and breaking glass through the speakers and I have no idea of the cause ?

Can anybody enlighten me ???

the noise definitely comes out of the speakers? Plug headphones and make sure it's not a hardware sound. Still the same?

does it mean you heard it even through your headphones? If so then the sound unit is producing this noise. The question of interest: is the software causing the sound unit to make this sound or is it the hardware? You said "after a few seconds" this sound appears. If you would boot into your jaguar DVD holding "c" after the chime, would the noise still appear?

Yes, I did hear it through the headphones, that is what was confusing me. If I try and boot from the CD I still get the same thing. I would assume that as it is so quick it must be the hardware, but having checked the RAM and HD I don't know what it is.

what about resetting the PRAM?
Hold apple+option+P+R while boot. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously. Hold them as long as it takes to hear the chime another time. I once read you should do this step 4 times. Don't know if this means anything, but to make sure, just let it chime 4 times.

Tried resetting the PRAM 4 times, no difference. All I had done was to remove the existing RAM and reseat it as it was locking up which to me suggested a RAM problem. I'll try and get some more RAM and try that.

Back