Powerbook G3 freezes during OSX install

TheHorizntalBob

Registered
Hello, I just got a Powerbook G3 (Bronze keyboard) from a friend. I just put a 40 gig harddrive in it and everytime i try to install os x it freezes like 7/8th's through the installation. I made an 8 gig partition like it said and erased the disk before installing. I even have 2 copies of the first intall disk and it does it with both. PLEEAAASSEEE help!

First of all, if you partition with OS X, you need to make the partition a little smaller than 8 GB. Try 7, just to be safe. If that doesn't work, we'll try something else.

Actually, I can't find a page that says that you need to partition, but you should probably do it in this installation, just as a control. You have to do it with iMac G3's, so it could be a "G3" thing. If it works, you could try an install with no partitions. Also, what kind of hard drive did you get? Low end mac says:
According to the Road Warrior and Other World Computing, the drive controller in G3 PowerBooks is incompatible with ATA-6 hard drives. When replacing the internal hard drive, you should be sure to obtain an ATA-5 compliant drive, which supports transfer speeds of up to 100 MB/sec.
Looks like there is no firmware that you need for OS X, so you're good there.

TheHorizntalBob said:
do i even need a partition?
Yes, you need a partition with two requirements:

1) That the partition is no larger than 8GB in size
2) The partition is the very first partition on the drive. You can tell by the graphical representation of the partitions -- the 8GB partition must be at the top.

According to LEM, if you partition it with OS X, it has to be 7.45 GB in size, not 8:
If you have a hard drive over 8 GB in size, you must partition it, and the partition containing OS X must be completely within the first 8 GB of space or you will not be able to run OS X. (If you are creating the partition within OS X, it must be 7.45 GB or smaller as reported by Disk Utility, because sometimes a GB is billion bytes and sometimes it's 1,073,741,824 bytes.)

Just go to Disk Utility, change the size of the partitions, then click "Partition". You'll need to run Disk Utility from the install disks.

well it wont let me install with os standard, so i went with extended, and when i made the partition 7.45 it automatically changed to 7.5. So im assuming thats normal, the install is running now, we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck :)

That happened on my iMac G3 and OS X still got installed - somehow. That probably didn't happen to you though.. I would try to do the most minimal installation possible, to decrease the change of media error.
Also, partition to 7.4, it says it has to be 7.45 at the most, so 7.5 could be a problem.

Back