Powerbook G3 Question

thanks how much ram should have and I have a 6Gb harddrive will that work? Is there anything else I should know?

I would recommend at least 256MB of RAM -- 128 will do ya, but the more, the better. Go to 512MB or beyond if you can -- that'll make the experience a lot better.

6GB is slim -- not much room for music, photos and whatever else, but it's plenty to get a full install of OS X on. I wouldn't recommend letting that drive drop below 1GB of free space -- the HFS+ hard drive format that Mac OS X uses can have problems if you don't give it enough free hard drive space (good rule of thumb: 15% to 20% free space, always).

I wonder if using XPostFacto and installing 10.3 (be sure to update to 10.3.9) would be worth it. 10.3 is noticeably faster on my 500 MHz iBook.

Doug

Well: You should be aware that OS 9 can let you accomplish many of the same tasks, and that depending on what you're trying to do with the PowerBook, it might simply be the better option...

I want to use the powerbook for school and the school has osx. I know that it will go slow but for what im using it for it shouldnt matter.

It basically depends on what's already in that PowerBook... IIRC, those have two slots, where in one only fits one kind...

It has a low profile 64mb on the bottom and the orginal 32mb on the top. Which is better a low profile or a full profile?

Back