Powerbook G4 1 GHZ Titanium L3 Cache Problem

LesPaul666

Registered
Sorry to bother anyone here about this, But I have an error code Post 16/64 when I run the Apple Hardware Test CD(ver.1.2.3). It gives this error immediately. I go to the system information, and shows no 1 MB L3 cache(only 256mb of L2). On TechTool Pro it dosent show up either. The energy saver is set to highest performance, and in OS 9.2.2, I get a message immediately on startup "the built-in memory test has detected a problem with the cache memory. Please consult a service technician for assistance". The powerbook seems to be running okay, but I was curious if there was some way of accidentally or deliberately(other than the energy saver function) turning this L3 cache on or of somehow(maybe a firmware issue etc.), or have I got a real logic board problem? The unit had been serviced by apple in 2003 for a dead LCD display. Any help here would be surely appreciated. Thank You.

Sounds like a real cache problem to me -- one that can only be solved by replacing the processor.

Did you try to install any kind of cache-related software? My first suspicion is that the cache has actually gone bad, requiring a replacement of the processor.

No, The only software related to anything with the cache would be Tech Tool Pro 4(when it's tested it only shows the 256MB of L2) and the Apple hardware test cd that came with the Powerbook. The L3 cache is actually on the processor along with the L2? Hmm...I thought it was on the motherboard, I guess I'm wrong here. I'm curious how much this is gonna cost. Can the cache be replaced by itself or with the processor? sounds like a lot of $$$. I guess If I have to do it, I will. It'll probably be quite a bit cheaper than a new Aluminum Powerbook G4...

Come to think of it, I always thought the L3 cache was on the processor board as well, but I could be wrong -- I think it is, though. If we can verify this, you might be able to just get a new processor installed by a 3rd-party site, like PowerBookResQ.com or the like and avoid Apple's high repair charges.

Back