Powerbook G4/12"/867 noises after upgrade to 10.3.2

Eckhart

Baron in the Trees
Hi there!

I've upgraded my system from 10.3.1 to 10.3.2 a few days ago and ever since it seems that my powerbook will trigger active cooling at a lower temperature than before and will likewise stop cooling after a longer period of fan runtime. This produces rapidly more noise in the average case.

Is it possible that the upgrade is related to this is issue at all? Any similar occurrences?

If not, this might be a hardware issue.

In the recent days there have not been any other changes of the system configuration, the state of the software, the amount of background processes or any other installed applications. At the time the fan is activated, there are no unusual events.

I appreciate the time you invest for any kind of help.

In 10.3.2 they changed the temperature settings at which the fan will come on, and then go off again.

Brian

It's not a bug, it's a feature! :)
Many users complained that the 12" PowerBook got too hot to handle, so Apple changed the fan settings with the 10.3.2 update. The fan kicks in much earlier now and goes on longer as you already noticed. It's the expected and intended behaviour.

Alright, that is what I thougt at first. Since I could not remember reading this in the detailed update description, I was not sure. Plus, I felt that these popular upgrades would not change such hardware-related settings or else the fan activation was not a high-level issue.

Well, if it is supposed to on the other hand, it is probably not the case that there are ways to change this setting with minor efforts?

If you consider downgrading to 10.3 or 10.3.1 minor.

Ask yourself, though, which would you rather have: a cooler 'Book, or a quieter 'Book?

Back