Powerbook g4/400 - soon outdated?

tuckmart

Registered
I am contemplating upgrading from my Powerbook g3/400 to a new Powerbook G4/800. I am a little worried about it because I have this feeling that if I order it, sometime in the next few months, Apple will come out with a newer faster machine. Is this something I should be worried about? are they planning on implementing a 1 GHz processor in a new version??

I am on the fence, someone push me in a direction.

----------------------
Powerbook G3
400 MHz
512 Mb Ram
6 GB HD
10 GB External UBB
19" Enternal monitor

I've been hearing from fryke that the PowerBook line will probably be updated in September/October...which makes common sense :) since that is how they were updated last year. (1GHz and internal BlueTooth are among the new features)

Unless you really want to upgrade, I would wait for Jaguar in your case to see how much that speeds things up for you. The current lineup is really fast compared to previous PowerBooks since it has an L3 cache...so I think the new releases wouldn't be as huge of an upgrade as the current revision one is...but I don't know...

I would wait a few months if you could, just to see if Apple released new Powerbooks or not... if you're dying for a new machine, the G4/800 Powerbook is a spectacular machine that should last you years before needing another upgrade.

And don't fret -- the minute you purchase a new machine, whether it's cutting edge or not, something faster and better will come out. Look at me, I still think my G4/400 is pretty damn new... only a couple years old... but they've more than doubled the clock speed since then, implemented AGP, and put a faster bus in the machines among countless other improvements (dual-USB busses, CD-RW built-in, level 3 cache... need I go on?).

You'll NEVER be cutting edge for more than a few months unless you upgrade as soon as something new comes out.

I too was wondering whether to wait for a 1ghz machine with a better graphics chipset. Although, due to my move, I had to get a new portable and couldn't really wait. Even if Apple releases a new PBG4 with a 1ghz chip and better graphics, I'll still be pleased with the PBG4/800. It runs everything quite fast, and handles Lightwave well, which is one of the main reasons I needed to upgrade my PBG4/500, which did not run Lightwave at any acceptable clip whatsoever...

Now, if the next gen PBG4 has a Superdrive - then I'll be pissed!

Fence? Man this is one TALL fence that I'm having a problem getting on to! lol :)

I am pratically SCREAMING for a PowerBook (or iBook) as I am working on PCs at both my new job and at my business office and HATING it!

Since I have a Tower G4 with a large/heavy monitor I'm not about to start lugging it around - poor thing already has battle scars (scratches that actually might be superficial, and the monitor plug is iffy, turning my screen yellow if the cable gets bumped).

I was thinking of the new iMac but not portable/small enough as I also want it for School.

iBook or PowerBook is what I NEED (in addition to my desktop).

But since I just started working again, I don't have much money - not to mention I'm still paying off my Desktop Mac and need to find a car... sigh... :(

But on the bright side - there should be faster/better 'Books by the time I'm able to buy one! LOL :p :)

Back