Powerbook G4 Programs Dissapear- Not In Trash

lesquive

Registered
So Ive had problems from the start with my powerbook g4. Purchased in June 2005, sent out for hard drive repair/reinstall on a monthly basis for a while before I just lived with it ( too much re installing hassle with dumb little things like Internet bookmarks and losing all my itunes).

The main problem now is that programs disappear. For example idvd, garage band, iphoto ( though I don't know if that came standard to begin with) standard programs that should be there ( and I have seen on the screen before) are not anywhere to be found. I did a search and checked garbage as well. I really don'use these files but don't like the fact my computer likes to delete programs.

In addition I sometimes find that word or excel files cannot be found through a search but may be under the file list in the program as a recent doc, or some sort of doesn't show up anywhere but if i try to do an attachment the finder pops up and sees it somewhere or in a file that when opened its not there.
I would hate to have to clear the hard drive and reinstall only to find it have problems within a few weeks afterward.

I believe my computer doesn't love me. If you can help at all it would be great, if not its cool. Have a great day.

Sounds like the last time the hard drive was replaced, that only the system was reinstalled, and not the rest of your bundled software.
Boot to your installer DVD, and Customize the install by unchecking everything except the bundled software. You will be back up an running with your apps in about 30 minutes or so.

It's not exactly clear what problem you're experiencing.

One idea: The Dock, that strip of programs along (probably) the bottom of your screen. The Dock is a convenient way to store "aliases" or pointers to your programs. If you drag a program off the Dock, it simply deletes the pointer to the actual program. It doesn't delete the program itself.

Actual program files are located in:

Double-click Macintosh HD
Double-click Applications (NOT "Applications (Mac OS 9)" if it's on there)

Doug

P.S. I'm assuming you're using Mac OS X, because I think you wrote that you got your Powerbook in 2005. If you are using OS 9, sorry!

Back