PowerBook G5s

Randman

HA! HA! HA!
February 24 - 00:53 EST** By Larry Angell - All of the key components for Apple to produce a PowerBook G5 appear to be ready, and Mac users should expect to see the new laptop no later than this summer, Peter Glaskowsky, analyst with Instat/MDR and editor of the Microprocessor Report, told MacMinute. He noted that the IBM PowerPC 970FX—which is used in the Xserve G5—offers basic power-consumption features needed for a portable machine. Glaskowsky explained that the 970FX also has PowerTune, IBM's version of the voltage and frequency scaling technology used on x86 laptop processors. "With all this new technology, a PowerBook G5 should be much faster and last about as long as a PowerBook G4 in average usage," he said.

More

http://www.macminute.com/2004/02/24/powerbookg5

I can't imagine this. I mean, Motorola recently presented some new processors which were supposed to go up to 1.4Ghz at a very low energy consumption. There is not much time left till summer so I can't imagine they would drop a faster G4 powerbook and deliver the first G5 powerbook in summer. Wouldn't it make more sense to announce the faster G4s first and after some time (end of this year) deliver the G5 books?

On the other hand, they could use those new G4s in the ibooks... Hmmm, very complicated :)

Actually, this makes perfect sense. The use the new G4 processor from Motorolla in the iBook line, and upgrade the PowerBook line to use the new G5. However, I would say that Apple is going to use the G4 update in the Powerbook first, offer slightly faster iBooks, test the G5 in the PowerBook, and then by June/July deliver the G5 powerbook after it is ready. I feel that after the events that occured with the Albook quality control issues, Apple is going to apply more pressure to the manufacturer to produce a better run with fewer machines that need warranty. This was a huge factor to the reason why Apple didn't make more profit.

apple needs to bring the powerbooks up to par. if they go 1.5 ghz g4, professional users won't be so happy, because at about the same time, a 2 ghz g5 will be the low end powermac... you'll want some power in the powerbook. the article is right about that the 970fx is ready for powerbooks, albeit at lower clock speeds than for the towers. still: a 1.6 ghz g5 powerbook is certainly a _lot_ more desirable than a 1.5 ghz g4 powerbook.

the updated g4s can not only be used for the ibooks, but also for the emacs. a distinction between an emac g4 and an imac g5 would also help apple sell more imacs (even to schools).

the sad thing is: if apple announces another round of g4 powerbooks in march, april or may, this probably would mean that a powerbook g5 would only appear in autumn. and many current powerbook users would skip the 'last pb g4' in wait for the g5.

I am not sure of much, I believe that Apple would want to boast about being the first company to bring 64 bit processing to a portable. Either way they have to upgrade the PowerBook line soon. Perhaps they will offer higher model(s) with a G5 while keeping others at G4 (maybe not a great idea). Personality, I am waiting for a possible G5 PowerBook to purchase buy next fall.

same here, powermac. Am waiting for the G5 powerbook and catch it. But there are some 64bit portables out. I read some reports about AMDs hammer (or so) in a laptop..
However, it's really time for a G5 now since the ibooks are on G4 as well.

powermac said:
I am not sure of much, I believe that Apple would want to boast about being the first company to bring 64 bit processing to a portable.

Well, they can't boast about having the first 64-bit laptop. AMD is already cramming these things into several laptops.
http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_M6807

I mean, eMachines already has a unit available, and if I remember correctly, Dell, HP, and several others do too.

Dell is not going AMD. So, I would be surprised if there would be a Dell 64bit unless Intel starts with mobile 64bit..

Zammy-Sam said:
Dell is not going AMD. So, I would be surprised if there would be a Dell 64bit unless Intel starts with mobile 64bit..

Sorry, I meant Gateway. You are absolutely correct regarding Dell.

They better take care of the heat issue. When my 800 mhz TiBook heats up I could roast an egg on it and my leg.

I've been saying this for months, I will not buy another G4 "Power"book. It's supposed to be a pro line model. I'm having trouble justifying a Powerbook to my text department when the iBook looks to save us money, while we don't need the extra horsepower.

If I'm spending $2000 - $3000 for a laptop, it should be on the same level of the desktops in that range. I know, portability, but that excuse only goes so far. I mean, really, unless you *really* needed a PowerBook ASAP, would you buy a 1.42GHz G4, which would probably be the 17" anyway, knowing that we're one revision away from a 1.6GHz+ G5?

I think apple will use the new Motorola cpus somewhere. And the only place they could stuff it now is in the current top powerbooks. I don't think they will use it in the ibook, since the fastest has 1Ghz currently and it would be a huge step to 1.4Ghz. And iMacs? Well, 1.25 to 1.44 seems too big too.
So, if the first G5 portable cpu would be a min 1.6Ghz, the perfect jump would be from a powerbook 1.4Ghz.

You mean Apple is afraid of huge steps? That's hilarious. If the PBs go G5 (1.4 or 1.6 GHz, I don't care much), I think Apple can go 1.4 or 1.5 GHz with the iBooks without any trouble whatsoever. If that p???es off some buyers of the last generation (well, the current one right now) PBs or iBooks, I couldn't care less. We all know that hardware _must_ make some steps here. If they're _possible_, Apple _should_ make them.

fryke said:
We all know that hardware _must_ make some steps here. If they're _possible_, Apple _should_ make them.
I understand your point, but why are the ibooks still at 1Ghz if it would be possible to go 1.3 as well?
I see it's not all just a what_is_possible thing, but also what_would_make_more_sense thing. That's why I got the idea, the faster G4s might first take place in the current alubooks...
My hopes and wishes would be to see a G5 book soon, but I somehow doubt this :(

soulseek said:
im just really curious to see the design of the powerbook G5.... 2004 is exciting :)

Actually, I would expect it to look similar to the current design. It already looks mildly similar to the G5 desktop...

I think the G5 PB will need a new look to differentiate it from the G4 models. How it's cooled will also play a role in its design.

Apple is afraid of taking big steps?

I could have sworn their PowerMacs went from 1.42GHz G4 to 2.0GHz G5 in one revision.... ;)

And that's not even talking about the system bus!

Go3iverson said:
Apple is afraid of taking big steps?

I could have sworn their PowerMacs went from 1.42GHz G4 to 2.0GHz G5 in one revision.... ;)

And that's not even talking about the system bus!

Dual 1.42 (best G4 powermac) to single G5 1.6 (weakest G5) ;)

Back